La Aventura with Patti & James

06 July 2018 | Faial Island –Atlantic Portugal
24 June 2018 | National Holiday day in Faial
22 June 2018 | afternoon whale watching boat trip
20 June 2018 | an enjoyable day trip to another island.
19 June 2018 | Fabulous Faial. – Azorean Island
18 June 2018 | Faial Island – Horta Harbour - Mid Atlantic
29 May 2018 | Mid Atlantic - in the middle of nowhere
26 May 2018 | the cruising yachtsman’s haven
25 May 2018 | party day in Hamilton
10 May 2018 | Vero Beach/Ft Pierce –road trip to Jacksonville.
12 April 2018 | Vibeke onboard
17 March 2018 | lovely to return to Belize and Mexico and meet up with sailing friends along the way
24 January 2018 | I have become so interested in Guatemala textiles
17 January 2018 | So great to catchup with so many friends and our families
01 November 2017 | what a wonderful Guatemalan fiesta to experience
29 October 2017 | Volcanic crater
28 October 2017 | Antiqua - Guatemala

arrival in USA. SOUTHPORT – North Carolina State to ANNAPOLIS – Maryland State.

30 April 2013 | Intercoastal Waterways (ICW) and Chesapeake Bay
cold and wet!
IMAGE - James & Patti with Lincoln in Washington DC

TO SEE MORE PHOTOS - OPEN THE ATTACHED LINKS BELOW - THEN OPEN VIEW ALBUMS
ICW - through North Carolina and Virginia;

Click here to view these pictures larger


Annapolis - Maryland

Click here to view these pictures larger


Washington DC - the national capital.

Click here to view these pictures larger



We left the Bahamas on Monday 15th for the 500 miles journey to east coast of the USA, to our planned arrival port of Beaufort - North Carolina. Unfortunately as we cleared the islands the wind became light, we even tried to spinnaker sail, but the wind was too light to make progress. And when we did get wind on Tuesday 16th, it was not a great direction, but we were still making some progress north. By the morning of Wednesday 17th we still had 330 miles to go! and the winds were still north/east. We were now aware that a weather front was on its way and we need a little good luck, good current and good winds for the next few days - or we may have to change our destination to Charleston in South Carolina. On Thursday 18 we finally got some light winds from the south, but no Gulf Stream to help push us along. By late afternoon on Thursday it became evident that with the forecast of bad weather to come we could not push on to Beaufort - instead we would now head into Cape Fear to the town of Southport - North Carolina State. We had to slow down to make an early daylight arrival into the busy shipping lanes around Cape Fear. The channel was shoaling and we past some major dredging vessels working hard to keep this major entryway open for shipping. James made a call to the Coastguard to advise them of our arrival and they advised us that we needed to make telephone contact with the Immigration and Customs officials. So under our yellow Q flag La Aventura entered US waters on the morning of Friday 19th April. My research had advised of a possible alongside mooring at the public Southport City Dock -or otherwise we would need to go into the Southport Marina to officially check-in. Thankfully there was a place available, and we had great secure alongside walk on/ walk off pile mooring for 24 hours free in Southport City Dock . James called Customs and Immigration and within 2 hours 2 officers arrived and came onboard. The woman officer was from the agriculture department and confiscated all our remaining fresh food - not a lot - oranges, potatoes and onions. The male office gave us 12 months personal stay on our visa and issued our 12 month cruising permit for the boat - at $19.00 fee. We had a great spot right in the heart of the small heritage village within the large town, and opposite the local seafood restaurants and close to the marina. This is the first time we have been alongside since Trinidad, all those miles and month ago. La Aventura had a well deserved fresh water and soap wash - great, and we could fill both our water tanks. In the early afternoon we walked to the marina for a map and some local info and then had a long 3 mile walk to the supermarket - it was good to walk and stretch our legs. Our wander through the heritage district was lovely - some beautiful historical old homes, antique shops etc. We did a good fresh food shop and bulk food stock up at Wal-Mart and then caught a taxi back to the boat. Friday 19th as a long, but very successful day, with all going well. Welcome to America.
Sadly we needed to push on as we had a deadline to be in Annapolis within 10 days.
Our Intercoastal 'drive' started on Saturday 20th as follows:
ICW DAY 1 - Mile market 309 Southport to mile marker 283 Wrightsville. 6.30am start to be at the marina fuel dock when they opened at 7am. Filled with fuel at $3.60 per gallon - half the price of the Bahamas. Our first interesting sight was a motor boat - liveaboards trawler type being pulled off the sand and mud by Towboat US as he had strayed out of the channel - thankfully we have our lifting keel and won't get caught out - but a good warning of what may be to come! A Lovely sunny but chilly north wind day - canal passing through beautiful wetlands with loads of birds, and waterside homes big enough to be small hotels with private docks and personal boats and boat lifts. Saw 2 weddings and another marquee party. Passed under our first 65 feet bridge at Snows Cut. Anchored the night with 2 other yachts in the middle of Wrightsville town just the before fixed bridge at Wrightsville beach. As you pass through Wrightsville Beach, looking port and starboard you get the feeling that every resident has a slip with either a sports fishing boat or power boat.
Sunday 21st ICW DAY 2 - 6.30am start. Mile marker 283 Wrightsville beach to mile market 244.5 restricted military area. Our first opening bridge - 7am Wrightsville Beach Bridge - 2nd opening bridge - figure eight Island Bridge at 8.30am. Later in the day we heard the coastguard giving warnings that this bridge had stopped opening due to high winds - the forecast bad weather was indeed on its way. Passed another opening bridge - Surf City Bridge at 2pm, only managing to achieve 3 miles per hour with wind and tide against us. Had to change No2 engine fan belt and impeller today - the ICW is hard work on these engines running at 2800/3000rpm for 12 hours. Anchored the night with 1 other yacht. James got the sleeping bags and winter clothes out as it was cold now!
Monday 22nd ICW DAY 3- 6.00 am start. mile marker 244.5 Hammock Bay Basin- military area to mile marker 204 - Beaufort town centre - passed through Onslow Beach Bridge at 7.30am opening. Very cold -temperature in the low 50's today - with many layers on clothes on - cloudy and overcast. Water at 8 deg c. By lunchtime-1am we have very poor visibility -= less than 1 miles and fog like conditions through the Bogue Sound. Very poor visibility on run into Beaufort - thankfully had good run with tide into Beaufort town centre and anchored for the night off the Town Creek Marina. Good Wi-Fi but cold and miserable night with light rain. The wind howled all night! But we were safely tucked up inside on board.
Tuesday 23rd ICW DAY 4 - 9am start after took on 55 gal of fuel. Set off again from mile marker 204 Beaufort town creek to mile market 160 Bear Creek - motor sailed across Neuse river - to finally anchor for the night at 9pm, alone - long, long day, but we needed to make the miles. Mostly the same yachts and motor boats passing us each day.
Wednesday 24th ICW DAY 5-set off from Bear Creek mile marker 160 to mile marker 81 at Little Alligator River. 7am start- after changing engine no1 fan belt - motor sailed through Pungo River and making good miles - then 20 miles of long straight Alligator /Pongo rivers canal. Overnight with 1 other yacht
Thursday 25th - ICW DAY 6 - from mile marker 81 at Little Alligator River to old Pungo ferry mile marker 29 - Albemarle Sound crossing was very, very bad. Just as we entered this long stretch of open fresh water - whilst motor sailing we got hit with a 30 knot squall and then had strong head winds and choppy seas. crossed into Virginia State today. Pushed on passed the stop at Coinjock to anchor with 1 other yacht at old Pungo ferry, just beside the bridge and out of the channel.
Friday 26th -ICW DAY 7 From Mile marker 29 Pungo Ferry to miles 0 at Norfolk. Made excellent progress today met all bridges on time - North Landing bridge a swing bridge opening at 8am; Centerville Turnpike swing bridge at 8.30; Great Bridge -swing bridge 9am - our last bridge - then straight into Great Bridge Lock with 1 other yacht and 1 motor boat; passed under Steel Bridge - a bascule bridge at 9.30am under I-64 motorway- very loud noise; our last bridge was bascule Gilmerton Bridge at 10am - out into Norfolk by midday. ICW Southport to Norfolk total 311.5 miles - over 7 days -average of 44.5 miles per day. We pushed ourselves and the boat hard to get through the ICW, due to our time constraints, and it was an expensive run on the fuel, so will have to re-think the return journey. The naval 'might' of the USA was an overwhelming sight as we motored through Norfolk - all those Warships, aircraft carriers and other huge vessels just lined up and ready to go! In the early evening we made telephone contact with Nicky and Roy Todd -so now have decided we are heading for Back Creek Annapolis -so needed to push on with an overnight passage up the Chesapeake Bay. We had a good run with the current, very little wind - full moon gave good light for night passage, as we are now in an area with fishing markers.
Saturday 27th - passed into Maryland state waters in the early morning - motoring, motoring and more motoring in glassy flat calm. A bit of an air force flypast today. Lots of boats out in the fishing havens. Warm and sunny day. Anchored overnight just outside Annapolis, in full view of yet another big Saturday night party under a large white marquee.
Sunday 28th - Entered into Annapolis Harbour - SO MANY yachts in marinas. 4 other yachts anchored in Back creek - Scotia (Hugh & Brenda) were our neighbours again - last time we were together was in Honeymoon Bay - USVI. We didn't venture off the boat for a few hours, just trying to take in the surroundings and settle in. One of our neighbours - French Ovni dragged... maybe this is not a good anchoring spot for the next few weeks! In the afternoon we took a short dingy row into the dingy dock and then we walked around the neighbouring area of Eastport and into town. The town centre is vey quaint, with free city centre trolley bus transport. The final day of a local boat show was in action. As we had little food onboard, we had dinner in a local pub - to celebrate our safe and timely arrival in Annapolis.
Monday 29th - We tried to do a few jobs together today and caught the local bus into the big Mall for most of the day. Cloudy, cold and overcast.
Tuesday 30th - James arranged a Hire Car for 24 hours to drop me at the airport and then do some food shopping and laundry. We purchased a new boat laptop today - but had a problem with our credit cards. Thankfully the local Harbourmasters office has great hot, unlimited showers for $1.00 - so I could have a lovely shower before my flight. The drive to the airport was a back to reality check - no ideal little islands now! My Virgin Atlantic flight to the UK was good - only half full so I lay out and slept.
MAY
Wednesday 1st to Thursday 16 - James on La Aventura in Back Creek, Annapolis and Patti in London, Chelmsford and Morocco with Penny to celebrate her 50th birthday. Again my flight back to the US with Virgin Atlantic was good - flight not full so I could lie out and have a good sleep. My trip to London was successful - new passports, new insurance, and good to catch up many friends. Penny's birthday jaunt to Morocco was great. It was wonderful to spend some time with my good friend, and staying at the private villa was amazing.
Comments
Vessel Name: La Aventura
Crew: James & Patti

Who: James & Patti