La Aventura with Patti & James

06 July 2018 | Faial Island –Atlantic Portugal
24 June 2018 | National Holiday day in Faial
22 June 2018 | afternoon whale watching boat trip
20 June 2018 | an enjoyable day trip to another island.
19 June 2018 | Fabulous Faial. – Azorean Island
18 June 2018 | Faial Island – Horta Harbour - Mid Atlantic
29 May 2018 | Mid Atlantic - in the middle of nowhere
26 May 2018 | the cruising yachtsman’s haven
25 May 2018 | party day in Hamilton
10 May 2018 | Vero Beach/Ft Pierce –road trip to Jacksonville.
12 April 2018 | Vibeke onboard
17 March 2018 | lovely to return to Belize and Mexico and meet up with sailing friends along the way
24 January 2018 | I have become so interested in Guatemala textiles
17 January 2018 | So great to catchup with so many friends and our families
01 November 2017 | what a wonderful Guatemalan fiesta to experience
29 October 2017 | Volcanic crater
28 October 2017 | Antiqua - Guatemala

Welcome to the USA - Miami for a week

27 June 2015 | great anchorage location – thanks ‘Bodyguard’
met up with Anna & Chris Mander

Image - a great chance to meet up with an old work colleague

20th June - thank god for the gulf stream – we made excellent progress up the coast.

Entering the busy Miami waterways on a Saturday was MAD – so much weekend traffic of all shapes and sizes.We made our way up Government Cut, past the huge Cruise ship terminal - Welcome to the USA.

We had an anchoring Lat/Long from Denis and Anke on Bodyguard – so headed for that and were anchored by 5.30pm off Sunset Marine Yacht Harbour.

Sometimes we have to pinch ourselves to be sure everything we do is real!. A truly treat spot - but busy with weekend traffic – these people do not know or understand or give a dam about the NO WAKE (slow down) sign just off to the side of us!! so many jet bikes and standup paddle boarders.

We had a good passage from Cuba – passing Key West and all the Keys Islands and making our way all the way into Miami….- so just crashed out for a long sleep.

21st June. James had made the required phone call to the Customs Office later yesterday to be told we had 24hrs to check-in…. so even on a Sunday we had to made our may to the Customs office in downtown Miami and the cruise dock terminal.

Thankfully the Miami roads were quiet on Sunday morning when we found our way over to Miami down town by bus, and then a long walk over the bridge to the Customs office.
Our passports were stamped – all too easy for a 6th month stay. BUT we had to come back tomorrow during office hours for the boats Cruising Permit to be issued … what pain.

Our next priority was to get a phone and local USA phone number – again all too easy.

I called Sue to have a local phone rate chat- thinking she was in the USVI – but no… she and Abrie were in Virginia and would be in Jacksonville northern Florida for a 4th July get-together and party with Annette & Kenny……. WOW what great timing. We would now be able to meet-up with them in Jacksonville.

We spent the afternoon in Starbucks on their Wi-Fi to get our arrival in USA emails out – all too easy after Cubas restrictions.

I made contact with Anna Mander to arrange a meetup whilst we were here – she and Chris live here now.

We were both looking forward to a good steak meal and BBQ on-board – so enjoyed both whilst looking around at the Miami evening skyline.

22nd June. I spent the day at the local library on a fast internet connection – there were so many little things that needed attention after month or so without internet in Cuba.

James went to Marine offices again, a lot hot walk in the sun. There were some issues with issuing us a Cruising licence… we had traded with the enemy – by visiting Cuba – how ridicules!!. Finally he paid our $19 and a Licence was issued till January 2016.

In the afternoon we both got haircuts... at last I feel human again.

23rd June - at library all day again. James could update his podcasts at last.
We started making plans to head to Jacksonville by 4th July and also Annette said yes our UK post can go there – so finally getting ourselves sorted.

24th June – we went to Aventura Mall on the local bus – long ride, but good to see the beach areas, and recognise some of the famous names – South Beach; Bal Harbour etc. Both spent the afternoon at the library, and had good chat with Mum on Skype.

Watching the late afternoon Stand up paddle boarders doing SUP yoga was interesting…. how Miami indeed.

25th June – thankfully I could get a Skype call to Malcolm – he will send our post to Jacksonville.

As arranged we met up with Anna & Chris for lunch at a local restaurant right near where the boat was anchored. We went to their home in the afternoon for a few hours and then to village of Windwood to take a look at the art/paintings on the buildings and then afternoon drinks – good day out together and lots of chatting about our time working together with InterCon all those years ago.

26th June – we got ourselves and the boat ready to leave tomorrow to head north to Jacksonville. Anna & Chris came to the boat for afternoon drinks.

27th June – after a very enjoyable week in Miami we left our great Miami anchorage (thanks Bodyguard) on the tide at 8am.
Comments
Vessel Name: La Aventura
Crew: James & Patti

Who: James & Patti