La Aventura with Patti & James

06 July 2018 | Faial Island –Atlantic Portugal
24 June 2018 | National Holiday day in Faial
22 June 2018 | afternoon whale watching boat trip
20 June 2018 | an enjoyable day trip to another island.
19 June 2018 | Fabulous Faial. – Azorean Island
18 June 2018 | Faial Island – Horta Harbour - Mid Atlantic
29 May 2018 | Mid Atlantic - in the middle of nowhere
26 May 2018 | the cruising yachtsman’s haven
25 May 2018 | party day in Hamilton
10 May 2018 | Vero Beach/Ft Pierce –road trip to Jacksonville.
12 April 2018 | Vibeke onboard
17 March 2018 | lovely to return to Belize and Mexico and meet up with sailing friends along the way
24 January 2018 | I have become so interested in Guatemala textiles
17 January 2018 | So great to catchup with so many friends and our families
01 November 2017 | what a wonderful Guatemalan fiesta to experience
29 October 2017 | Volcanic crater
28 October 2017 | Antiqua - Guatemala

Solomons Island

17 August 2015 | Pottering around the Chesapeake Bay - western shore
2 weeks 3rd to 17th August.
IMAGE - Oysterman art at the Sculpture Garden

Our stop here in Solomons has been for 2 weeks - I don't know where the time went. It has been a great stop for us. With the many large shopping malls just a local bus ride away, we had a good opportunity to get a few of the bits and pieces on our shopping list... and my new laptop. Then to set up my new little machine and transfer all the info from one computer to another etc. we had the excellent local library just a short walk from the dingy dock. The small shopping strip mall had a 7/11 store for our daily ice. I spent what felt like days and hours there getting everything sorted - at least
James could download library DVD's and update his TV and radio podcasts too. Whilst reading the 'Active Captain' reviews and details on the Solomons area I discovered that if we went to the Holiday Inn Hotel reception to pay for our $2per day dingy dock fee, rather than the sometimes there/ sometimes not there Dockmaster, we could also get a shower and toilet facilities key!! - how fantastic. The keycard worked everyday - just like magic! Within this disabled facility and gym area there was a washer and dryer and more importantly an ice machine!! So we were in heaven, with lovely hot showers and daily ice for our afternoon sundowners. Although there are many yachts and boats here, not many seem to be taken out very often - we say people coming for the weekend, but they mainly just stayed onboard having group potluck BBQ's and generally just chilling out and staying on the dock.
The anchorage was quiet and peaceful, with just the Canada geese for company in these beautiful scenic surroundings. We met up with just 1 other cruising boat - generally the anchorage was very quiet indeed. The local fuel man said that November in their busy season when boats start heading south. James was more than happy with the service from the local marina for our specific parts order - and there was also a West Marine chandlery within a short walk. The large supermarket shopping was about a 4 mile roundtrip walk - a bit of a hike, but we managed with no problems using our folding trolley to carry back our heavy bags. We will be returning to Solomons again on our way south.

MONDAY 3rd - we departed Deltaville at 6am first light for our next 50 miles day hop north in Chesapeake Bay to Solomons Island in light south winds - motorsailing. We decided that instead of motor-sailing all day, with better wind forecast for tomorrow we would now make it just a short day and make an overnight stopover - so tucked into Mill Creek, near Reedville off the Great Wicomico River- what a beautiful spot, with just the Canada geese for company, and we could enjoy a lovely afternoon swim around the boat.

TUESDAY 4 - early start again- off with the sunrise. Light winds to push us, but we always seem to have the current against us. By mid-afternoon we were off the US Navy Air Training Corp facility - and were treated to some fantastic in-flight formation 'shows' from these TopGun guys. Today we saw more fighter jets above and around us than our whole country has!! -but they are very LOUD. We made our way into Solomons - a very pretty little harbour, packed with yachts in the many marinas - with a sort of River Hamble feel. We found the inner anchorage full - so found another good spot just off the Oyster Quay housing complex, and put down 2 anchors so we would not drift into the channel.

WEDNESDAY 5th - we had a long dingy ride around to explore of the harbour, and walk ashore to get familiar with everything, get a local map and info from the Tourist office. The long promenade along the river was very attractive.This area around The Partuxent River has been famous for oyster farming back since 1860's. We made a visit to the oyster museum in one of the original oyster sheds. Sadly we will not be enjoying fresh oysters, as it is not oyster season at the moment - so just farmed bottled oysters are available. We found everything we needed all closeby, the safe and secure dingy dock at Spring Cover Marina, right beside the Holiday Inn is $2per day - West Marine store, the local library, and 7/11 store (so could have ice with our afternoon drinks).

THURSDAY 6th - we caught the local bus (on $1 seniors fare) to the nearest largest shopping areas, and I made my big purchase - a new PC. We spent a few hours at the library in the late afternoon - I have so much setting up to do with my new laptop. We briefly met a South African couple at the dingy dock - they are at anchor in their 57ft alloy yacht - Silver Lynx in another arm of the river.

FRIDAY 7th - the forecast northerly weather come in - but we were OK tucked up here in the very sheltered harbour. We spent most of the day at the library setting up my new PC. Light rain for the late afternoon and all night - the first rain we have had for ages - at least the boat got a wash.

SATURDAY 8 - day again at the library - very successful- I am nearly ready to go- with everything transferred from the old laptop to my new little Levono. We came back to the boat to find a note and some grapes from the SA's - inviting to meet up. My research on Active Captain had a report that a shower was available in the Holiday Inn complex for sailors - well it was FANTASTIC, and there is an ice machine and laundry facilities - its so good here we may never leave!

SUNDAY 9 - after our cooked breakfast we took a walk to do the weekly shopping at the nearest large supermarket - about a 1 ½mile walk. We had received an invitation from Ken and Diane on their South African yacht Silver Lynx for join them for afternoon drinks and a chat at 4pm. Several hours later we just made it back to our boat before dark. Lovely people in a magnificent Laurent Giles 57 custom built ocean going yacht - sadly Ken has health issues so I don't know how many more oceans they will cross again.

MONDAY 10 - boat jobs, library in late afternoon, great showers again and ice in our cider with our pork, apple and potato dinner - life is good.

TUESDAY 11 - overnight rain and wind - cloudy and overcast morning - laundry day PM

WEDNESDAY 12 -we decided to visit the outdoor Sculpture Garden & Art Center today. We took the dingy to the Oyster Quay housing development across from the anchorage and walked from there, as it was a much shorter walk. It was a good day to be out and about and the humidity has dropped and there is now a light north wind. The AnnMarie Gardens are set in several acres of natural parklands and it's a nice stroll around to view the 40 or so various modern art large outdoor pieces. We found a lovely shaded spot to enjoy our picnic lunch.

THURSDAY 13 - final food shopping and odd jobs day.

FRIDAY 14 we planned to leave today - upped anchor, filled with fuel and water.... but had a problem with the shaft coupling on no 1 engine. James had a hot and frustrating day working on the problem (finally). We went shore and ordered a new coupling - that will arrived by midday on Monday. We moved anchorages today to be closer to the mooring field, and found to our delight that we had an open WiFi signal available on the boat - its SO good here we may never leave!!

SATURDAY 15 - lovely weather to just enjoy the comings and goings around Solomons.

SUNDAY 16 - cooked breakfast and then a walk around the harbour and boat years to stretch our legs.

MONDAY 17 - the coupling arrived around lunch time - so now its busy getting it fitted. To test the shaft and fitting we had a run around to the pump-out dock to allow us to tie alongside so I could climb he mast to re-tape the top spreader covers - so much more stable right up there when we are safely tied than rocking and rolling at anchor. By now it was late afternoon - so off to do a final food shop, have a last wonderful Holiday Inn shower and iced drinks.
Comments
Vessel Name: La Aventura
Crew: James & Patti

Who: James & Patti