La Aventura with Patti & James

06 July 2018 | Faial Island –Atlantic Portugal
24 June 2018 | National Holiday day in Faial
22 June 2018 | afternoon whale watching boat trip
20 June 2018 | an enjoyable day trip to another island.
19 June 2018 | Fabulous Faial. – Azorean Island
18 June 2018 | Faial Island – Horta Harbour - Mid Atlantic
29 May 2018 | Mid Atlantic - in the middle of nowhere
26 May 2018 | the cruising yachtsman’s haven
25 May 2018 | party day in Hamilton
10 May 2018 | Vero Beach/Ft Pierce –road trip to Jacksonville.
12 April 2018 | Vibeke onboard
17 March 2018 | lovely to return to Belize and Mexico and meet up with sailing friends along the way
24 January 2018 | I have become so interested in Guatemala textiles
17 January 2018 | So great to catchup with so many friends and our families
01 November 2017 | what a wonderful Guatemalan fiesta to experience
29 October 2017 | Volcanic crater
28 October 2017 | Antiqua - Guatemala

CUBA - music and dancing

14 June 2015 | Sunday 14th June - tourist day in Havana.
local flooding due to thunderstorms
IMAGE Havana

SUNDAY 14th June
Last nights thunderstorm cleared the air and we woke to another lovely, bit windy day.
We had a lazy morning. James cooked up the last of our Cuban eggs for breakfast and then we chatted with a few of our boat neighbours. Our food supplies are getting low, but with little food shopping opportunities closeby the Marina we will make do with what we have onboard until we get to America.

The 3 young Americas from 'Sea Wolf' were looking for their lost dog and we got chatting. They have just spent the last few days overseeing the detailing and cleaning of the yacht by some locals, and were now planning to leave - they had only been into downtown Havana 1 day! The dog and the guns that they have onboard became a discussion point - they mentioned that they had paid $100US to the requested 'gift' on arrival- absolutely amazing. Cuba is officially a no-go for Americans - when they return to the US they have to report that they have arrived in from Mexico or The Bahamas - definitely NOT Cuba. Apparently everyone is looking forward to these restrictions being lifted shortly - if all the Americans come and keep paying over the odds for labour, and handing out large cash 'gifts' then Marina Hemingway will become difficult for liveaboards like us.

I had wanted to see and hear some of the music venues today - Sunday being traditionally a day off work for most factory working Cubans - and a family day out.

We caught a local bus, and then a traditional taxi to Hotel National.
The Hotel National is as much a city monument as an ultra-expensive accommodation option. Built in 1930 as a copy of the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach, Florida, the eclectic art-deco/neoclassical Hotel National is one of Havanas 'postcard' sights. In the heyday of 1947 the notorious mobsters Meyer Lansky and Lucky Luciana used the Hotel to host the largest ever get-together of North American Mafia - gathered under the guise of a Frank Sinatra concert. Throughout the decades the rich and famous were all drawn to The Nationals Las Vegas-style casino. The Hotel is built high up on the seafront with an expansive view out over the ocean. I had read that on Sunday afternoons a jazz band plays on the lawns for a few hours. As we walked through the lavish lobby and around the ground floor verandas it became clear that there were many Asians staying in the Hotel. As non-staying guests we were able to wander the sweeping manicured lawns, admire the peacocks and take a look into the bars and museum. I asked the staff about the jazz concert - they said that yes it was USUALLY held every Sunday afternoon, but not today due to a political delegation from China staying in the Hotel!! The museum had an interesting display of old photographs and menus for a previous heyday - and several plaques listed some of the Hotels former famous celebrity and political guests.

We decided we couldn't afford to sit drinking Mojitos here for the afternoon -so we set off elsewhere to find some musical entertainment. Just a short walk away, our ears led us to a bar with great music and many locals enjoying their Sunday afternoon. Six musician in total - drums, double bass, brass and guitars - all doing vocals and playing classic Cuban songs - just what we were looking for. We sat, had a drink and snack and enjoyed the local atmosphere.

A wild afternoon thunderstorm rushed through... sadly closing the outside area of this establishment which had become the impromptu dance floor- but the music carried on. The heavy, heavy rain poured down for over an hour- and we watched as small trees and various flotsam floated by. The streets became rivers, stopping all traffic.

We had decided that we would have dinner out tonight - with the weather so foul I started searching the guide book from something in the locals area - we found a set-menu place - just OK, sadly nothing special.

Comments
Vessel Name: La Aventura
Crew: James & Patti

Who: James & Patti