La Aventura with Patti & James

06 July 2018 | Faial Island –Atlantic Portugal
24 June 2018 | National Holiday day in Faial
22 June 2018 | afternoon whale watching boat trip
20 June 2018 | an enjoyable day trip to another island.
19 June 2018 | Fabulous Faial. – Azorean Island
18 June 2018 | Faial Island – Horta Harbour - Mid Atlantic
29 May 2018 | Mid Atlantic - in the middle of nowhere
26 May 2018 | the cruising yachtsman’s haven
25 May 2018 | party day in Hamilton
10 May 2018 | Vero Beach/Ft Pierce –road trip to Jacksonville.
12 April 2018 | Vibeke onboard
17 March 2018 | lovely to return to Belize and Mexico and meet up with sailing friends along the way
24 January 2018 | I have become so interested in Guatemala textiles
17 January 2018 | So great to catchup with so many friends and our families
01 November 2017 | what a wonderful Guatemalan fiesta to experience
29 October 2017 | Volcanic crater
28 October 2017 | Antiqua - Guatemala

KEY WEST

29 January 2017 | 3 of 4 blogs for January 2017
ICONIC FLORIDA KEYS
IMAGE collage key west

Tuesday 24 - we were wondering if we would every leave Marathon! - its good not to be on a time schedule and be able to safe as the fronts pass through - we are told that this is the usual weather pattern for this time of year. After saying goodbye and Thank You to Harry & Melinda we set off further east - sailing parallel to the famous Keys 7 miles bridge. After our rather late departure we decided to make our sail to Key west a two day hop - so after 25 miles we anchored for the night off Newfound Harbour. Another 'splendid isolation' anchorage, for a quiet and calm night. A good days sailing in fresh easterly winds.

Wednesday 25 - no wind today for a 'drive' to Key West. On our arrival the P & O cruise ship Oriana was in dock and the classic windjammers were out sailing in the harbour - what a lovely arrival sight. We found a suitable spot to anchor, had lunch and decided to stay onboard as the anchorages around Key Wests anchorage have a poor reputation with holding and currents - we seem to be OK here in the south point of Fleming Island. Our late afternoon entertainment was watching about 10 various sailing boats out in the harbour for tourist sunset cruises.

Thursday 26- Australia Day in Key West - not another Aussie in sight! We took the dingy ashore to the only available dingy dock in the Key West Bight City Marina - what a nightmare - hard and soft dinghy's everywhere with not enough room- AND a fee of $7 per day for the privilege! 1st job for the day - we needed to deal with checking-out of the USA. We walked to the Customs office in town and were told that no staff were available because a cruise ship was in town and therefore we needed to go to the Customs and Boarder Protection office at the airport. So off to the airport via the local bus - an 'around the houses' and long trip - but at 50cents each it was a cheap tour of the city. The CBP officer was OK with our clearance request - all the paperwork done with no problem, and we have the required exit papers for Mexico - but we had a 1 1/2 hour wait for the next bus! Thankfully I had bought lunch with us and we could just sit and people watch.

Finally we arrived back into the Old Town for some wandering and tourist time. Key West is a lovely old city, with beautiful wooden colonial houses very similar to traditional Queenslander houses - and lush tropical gardens - again very much a queensland feel. Duval Street is the main tourist street - very touristy, every establishment is a restaurant/ bar or art gallery or tourist tat store. THE thing to do in Key West it to watch the sunset from the pier - so after wandering around we headed down to the pier with the 100's of other tourists in town - had a Fosters to toast Australia Day - but sadly there was no sunset due to the clouds. We wanted to experience some of the Key West night live and walked up and down and various Old City streets - many of the bars had live music and a good atmosphere. We decided to do the all American thing for dinner and have a 'burger in paradise' at the original Jimmy Buffetts Margaritaville restaurant on Duval.

After a long day, successful and enjoyable day we headed home in the dingy in the dark - very foot sore!
Friday 27 - Key West. A little bit of tourist stuff again and mainly internet time at the library to get weather info for our passage to Mexico. Back onboard in the later afternoon the forecast wind shift to the north west came through and we needed to lay out a 2nd anchor to feel safe and secure. We had pizza and iconic Key Lime Pie for dinner.

Saturday 28 - practical stuff today as we will leave in the late afternoon for a 70 mile passage to the Dry Tortugas. We set off on the bus to the supermarket - a very easy trip as the bus stops right outside the marina and at the front door at Winn Dixi supermarket. I got a last weather and currents grib files - all good, so we continued with our plan to up anchor - fill with fuel and water at the marina and be out of the harbour just before sunset. The timing for this trip is tricky as we need to leave just before dark and not arrive until we have enough morning light for our arrival. We set off out the harbour about 6pm - looking back at all the tourists lining the pier.... Goodby America!!! It been good.
Comments
Vessel Name: La Aventura
Crew: James & Patti

Who: James & Patti