La Aventura with Patti & James

06 July 2018 | Faial Island –Atlantic Portugal
24 June 2018 | National Holiday day in Faial
22 June 2018 | afternoon whale watching boat trip
20 June 2018 | an enjoyable day trip to another island.
19 June 2018 | Fabulous Faial. – Azorean Island
18 June 2018 | Faial Island – Horta Harbour - Mid Atlantic
29 May 2018 | Mid Atlantic - in the middle of nowhere
26 May 2018 | the cruising yachtsman’s haven
25 May 2018 | party day in Hamilton
10 May 2018 | Vero Beach/Ft Pierce –road trip to Jacksonville.
12 April 2018 | Vibeke onboard
17 March 2018 | lovely to return to Belize and Mexico and meet up with sailing friends along the way
24 January 2018 | I have become so interested in Guatemala textiles
17 January 2018 | So great to catchup with so many friends and our families
01 November 2017 | what a wonderful Guatemalan fiesta to experience
29 October 2017 | Volcanic crater
28 October 2017 | Antiqua - Guatemala

Flores ( near TIKAL) – Lake Peten village

31 December 1969 | sunset drinks and street food dinner
Guatemala – land travel

Flores was founded around the mid 15th century on a Peten (island) by the Itaes, who came south into Guatemala after being expelled from Chichen Itza on the Mexican Yucatan. The now modern town is built on ruins and foundations of the centuries old Maya Tayasal kingdom.

The island city of Flores is idyllically located off a 500m causeway surrounded by Lago de Peten Itza. The lakeside towns of Santa Elena and San Benito are much more commercial with banks and shopping malls – thankfully allowing little Flores to maintain the charm of a small town with homes cascading down from the central plaza to the emerald waters of the beautiful lake.

Flores is great for strolling up - in the town and around the promenade that rings the islet.

After our 1 hour afternoon journey from El Remate, our main aim was to find a ‘sundowners’ spot overlooking the lake. The 3rd floor Sky Bar with its terrace above the lake proved a perfect location, AND we arrived for happy hour drinks and snacks. Sadly it was not a stunning sunset due to too much low cloud – but and photographers amongst us enjoyed the opportunity to capture the vista.

Shortly afternoon sunset and before it got too dark we set off strolling up into the town to the Parque Central. The local kids were playing basketball, whilst a mix of families and oldies were sitting out around the square enjoying the fresh evening air. The Town Hall was still ‘dressed’ from the recent Independence Day celebrations and the imposing twin domed cathedral dominates the central square.

We continued to wander the streets and alleys, passing several small tourist hotels and many bars and restaurants. It is obvious that Flores now lives off the tourists visiting nearby Tikal.

There were just SO many lakeside restaurants to choose from along the Calle Sur and promenade – most looked like tourist joints pitching an international fare to the package tourist crowd. We chose to eat street food from the stalls set up by the local families. We ate well, trying several different plates of enchiladas, tacos etc and local fruit drinks, finally topped off with freshly baked cake. We enjoyed sitting on the plastic chairs and resting our plates on the low lake barrier walls, listening to the one lone local busker and people watching.

A very pleasant evening indeed, before herding back on the bus for our journey back to our base at Casa Don David in the village of El Remate for a night in a proper bed with an ensuite toilet and shower and aircon.
Comments
Vessel Name: La Aventura
Crew: James & Patti

Who: James & Patti