La Aventura with Patti & James

06 July 2018 | Faial Island –Atlantic Portugal
24 June 2018 | National Holiday day in Faial
22 June 2018 | afternoon whale watching boat trip
20 June 2018 | an enjoyable day trip to another island.
19 June 2018 | Fabulous Faial. – Azorean Island
18 June 2018 | Faial Island – Horta Harbour - Mid Atlantic
29 May 2018 | Mid Atlantic - in the middle of nowhere
26 May 2018 | the cruising yachtsman’s haven
25 May 2018 | party day in Hamilton
10 May 2018 | Vero Beach/Ft Pierce –road trip to Jacksonville.
12 April 2018 | Vibeke onboard
17 March 2018 | lovely to return to Belize and Mexico and meet up with sailing friends along the way
24 January 2018 | I have become so interested in Guatemala textiles
17 January 2018 | So great to catchup with so many friends and our families
01 November 2017 | what a wonderful Guatemalan fiesta to experience
29 October 2017 | Volcanic crater
28 October 2017 | Antiqua - Guatemala

beautiful BERMUDA

29 May 2018 | Mid Atlantic - in the middle of nowhere
it took us 8 days to sailing here from US east coast – 18 May to 30 May
IMAGE – various images

Bermuda is an archipelago of 7 main islands and over 180 tiny islands and islets. The total land area is only 23 sq miles, with a population of just about 70,000.

We found the people to be an eclectic mix of white British, black Caribbean, Portuguese, Philippines, and American tourists. English sailors were the first settlers in the 1600s. The Black Caribbeans came as slave workers, and Portuguese families mainly from the Azores islands were invited to bring knowledge, enterprise and skilled workers to the island. Later with the tourist boom Philippine workers were also invited to build the workforce. The America tourists come by the boat load (cruise ships) each and every day.

Yes – Bermuda is a sea mound in the middle of the North Atlantic – we are 810 miles EAST from USA east coast; 810 miles NORTH of the Dominica Republic; 660 miles due NORTH is Newfoundland; and MOROCCA is 2730 miles due WEST - ie middle of nowhere!

The Shakespeare play ‘The Tempest’ is believed to have been inspired by the wreck of Sea Venture off the northern shores in 1609. The Admiral of the Sea Venture – Sir George Somers established an English claim to the islands when he came ashore after his vessel was shipwrecked. Bermuda became an English colony in 1684 – the oldest British colony.

The Dark ‘n Stormy is officially the National Drink of Bermuda, and an internally recognised legal trademarked drink. The name originated when an old sailor observed that the drink (local dark rum and ginger beer) was the ‘colour of a cloud only a fool or dead mean would sail under’.

Bermuda is positioned on the sailors cruising route between North America, the Caribbean and Europe. All the major yachting rallies make a stop here. We found it very interesting to meet the other sailors, chat about where they have come from to get here and their passage plans for leaving here. We are here with several other OCC yachts and 4 of 5 who will go on to the Azores for the June rally.

May is Heritage month in Bermuda with BERMUDA DAY – the national day is on Friday 25th – a big party day, especially in the city of Hamilton. Bermudan summer officially commences in May and a weekly Summer Street festival – Harbour Nights – is held in Hamilton every Wednesday evening.

Twilight yacht races in Hamilton harbour are held by the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club every Wednesday evening.

Its really amusing – in most countries it is the women that proudly wear the national dress – but here in Bermuda its the MEN who proudly step out in the colourful Bermuda shorts – and YES James came here to get a pair too – a lovely salmon colour!!

We have arrived here to explore and enjoy all the island and its people, try the odd Dark ‘n Stormy – AND at party time!!
Comments
Vessel Name: La Aventura
Crew: James & Patti

Who: James & Patti