Around the World

23 February 2013 | Similan Islands Thailand
21 February 2013 | Bay of Bengal
15 February 2013 | Cinque Islands
15 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
12 February 2013 | North Button Island
10 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
09 February 2013 | Havelock Island
06 February 2013 | Neil Island
04 February 2013 | Rutland Island
01 February 2013 | Andaman Sea
30 January 2013 | Port Blair
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
03 December 2012 | Burma
02 December 2012
08 November 2012
08 November 2012 | Thailand
08 November 2012
10 June 2012 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
06 February 2012 | Malaysia

Water music and Kastom

22 August 2009 | Banks Islands Vanuatu
Michael and Jackie
We left Port Orly for the Banks Islands to arrive at Gaua in the late afternoon. We had a fast run across to the island and anchored off a black sand beach in Lakona Bay off the village of Pweteput The anchorage was very swelly on the first night and the next morning we headed into the village. The swell was still very big and we let the four people on Harmonie go in first. We waited for them to get through the narrow gap and carry their boat up the sand. Unfortunately as we waited a rogue wave broke right on top of us and swept us out of the dinghy and onto the rocks. Fortunately we were able to retrieve our waterproof bag with the camera, and the dinghy itself. So somewhat to the amusement of the villagers we arrived rather wet, but just a bit scratched and bruised. The village is a traditional Kastom village. We met with chief Johnstar and his wife, Susan, who showed us around the village. The two young visitors with Harmonie went off to climb the volcano with a local guide. There is a classic crater lake at the top, but it is a very steep and hot 3 hour climb up and then down again. We decided to tour the villagers gardens instead. Johnstar had recently rebuilt his house further back from the village and higher up to avoid floods. Around the house they had planted a lovely garden with ornamental plants as well as edible plants. He proudly showed us his robes, those of a high chief. We duly took photos of him in them both front and rear.

We also visited the neighbouring village and met Chief Robinson there who showed us an amazing Kastom house. the house is flanked by tree fern sculptures depicting various gods and spirits. Whilst inside there are more sculptures and carved heads. He told us that the house had been built originally by his grandfather and he maintained it to teach the young people about Kastom. There were stone carvings as well as tree fern ones, and some were obviously of great age. It was a privilege to see them in a natural setting rather than in a museum.

During our first night there a local boat had broken adrift and got a few holes off the reef. Luckily we were able to give them some fibreglass to repair the many holes in the boat.

The highlight of the visit was watching the local women perform water music. The villagers had created a pool by the village by damming the river and the women climbed down to create the most amazing music. Unlike the group at the resort these were just local women in their ordinary clothes making the most amazing music from slapping the water. They produced a wider variety of pitch and tone than the ones we saw in Oyster Island.

The villagers here welcome visitors. When you arrive the chiefs come out in their dugout canoes and are keen to invite you ashore. The canoes take many months to build since they are carved out of trees with adzes, and then an outrigger is lashed on to give them greater stability when crossing reefs. By contrast we were told a house only takes a few weeks to build. The people are shy but are keen to show you how they live and explain their way of life and their customs (Kastom). When we get to Luganville again or Port Vila we will put up a series of photos showing them. In the meantime we can only show one photo per entry.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lady Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Falmouth
Crew: Michael & Jackie Chapman
Lady Kay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Ha'apai islands with Tamsin and Paul
7 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
No Photos
Created 23 November 2008
No Photos
Created 13 August 2008
Petra & Bob's birthday party
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2008
2 Photos
Created 24 July 2008