Around the World

23 February 2013 | Similan Islands Thailand
21 February 2013 | Bay of Bengal
15 February 2013 | Cinque Islands
15 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
12 February 2013 | North Button Island
10 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
09 February 2013 | Havelock Island
06 February 2013 | Neil Island
04 February 2013 | Rutland Island
01 February 2013 | Andaman Sea
30 January 2013 | Port Blair
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
03 December 2012 | Burma
02 December 2012
08 November 2012
08 November 2012 | Thailand
08 November 2012
10 June 2012 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
06 February 2012 | Malaysia

25,000 miles

13 October 2009 | Baie de Chambeyron, New Caledonia
Michael and Jackie
Yes, Lady Kay is now showing over 25,000 miles on our sea log. The equivalent of more than a full circuit around the equator. We've actually done more miles than this because the 25,000 miles is recorded by a small paddle which is turned in the water, and often sticks with bits of barnacles etc. However, officially the boat has done at least 25,000 miles. She's survived hurricane, storms, big seas and numerous ocean crossings and still looks good, although showing signs of age.

We first sailed from Sables D'Olonne near La Rochelle in June 2003 and went via Lagos and Funchal to Madeira. Michael's first ocean crossing. Lady Kay was based in Grenada for the next five years. In the first year we sailed her to the BVIs and then through the whole archipelago back down to Grenada. In 2004 Lady Kay was badly damaged by Hurricane Ivan. Amazingly she was sailing again within a few weeks, although the final repairs took a year to complete.

Since then Lady Kay has been sailing in the Caribbean normally between December and June, visiting and revisiting most of the islands of the Eastern Caribbean.

In December 2008 Lady Kay set sail from St Lucia for Panama, crossed the canal and then the Pacific. We went by way of Ecuador, the Galapagos Islands and then the long crossing to the Marquesas.

From there we sailed through the Tuamotas to Tahiti and its neighbouring islands. We then left French Polynesia for Nuie going by way of the tiny atoll of Suvarrow. We finished the season by visiting Tonga, Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia. Lady Kay then headed South for New Zealand via Norfolk Island.

After spending the Southern Hemisphere summer in New Zealand we are spending a second season in the South Pacific. We returned to Tonga, Fiji and New Caledonia to see some of the places that we missed first time round. We discovered that there was so much more to the islands and their peoples when you explore slowly.

We are now back in New Caledonia, and are planning to go into Noumea to await a weather window for the long journey south to New Zealand. Where we plan to give Lady Kay some TLC in readiness for her next season. We are hoping to return to Fiji and Vanuatu again and leave for Australia earlier in the season so that we can arrive their when the land is still relatively cool.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lady Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Falmouth
Crew: Michael & Jackie Chapman
Lady Kay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Ha'apai islands with Tamsin and Paul
7 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
No Photos
Created 23 November 2008
No Photos
Created 13 August 2008
Petra & Bob's birthday party
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2008
2 Photos
Created 24 July 2008