Around the World

23 February 2013 | Similan Islands Thailand
21 February 2013 | Bay of Bengal
15 February 2013 | Cinque Islands
15 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
12 February 2013 | North Button Island
10 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
09 February 2013 | Havelock Island
06 February 2013 | Neil Island
04 February 2013 | Rutland Island
01 February 2013 | Andaman Sea
30 January 2013 | Port Blair
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
03 December 2012 | Burma
02 December 2012
08 November 2012
08 November 2012 | Thailand
08 November 2012
10 June 2012 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
06 February 2012 | Malaysia

Back in NZ

04 November 2009 | Opua, New Zealand
Michael and Jackie
We've been back in NZ over two weeks now. As we approached Opua we were approached by the NZ customs high speed launch, Hawk. They were very cheerful and asked us if we were carrying any firearms or live animals. We told them we weren't, and then we all took pictures of each other. A naval ship also shadowed us as we approached. We later heard that quite a few boats were boarded on their way in, and that the navy helped one boat that was helping them with their engine.

Customs at the dock was not as friendly as last year. They had trainees, and were quite officious. Quite a few sarcastic remarks, and they even confiscated the meal we were about to eat which was a problem since the only cafe at the marina had closed. Our meal and anything French seem to be the main "eco threats" that they defend New Zealand against. Their attitude was on a par most countries' custom officers. Probably our expectations were too high, but it was interesting that they were the least friendly of the Pacific border officials on this tour.

Since Opua is a small place we let our feelings be known, and the following day, a welcome pack appeared in our cockpit. Customs had forgotten to give us one in their zeal.

We hadn't really appreciated last year how many boats arrive at Opua, since last year arrived earlier and left earlier. The first influx was the ICA boats, mostly Kiwis. We arrived just before them which partly explains the trainees etc. They fairly quickly disperse to their homes after a few arrival parties. Then the atmosphere changes again with lots of North Europeans, Swedes and Dutch boats in particular arriving, and then finally American boats with a smattering of UK boats. The overseas boats have mostly come from Tonga, having crossed Panama etc at the beginning of the year.

Our stay was delayed because we wanted to replace our anchor windlass before moving on. A new one was sourced in Italy, the only make which fitted our existing space without major adaptation. It arrived highly efficiently in 6 days from our order, but took a little longer to fit, mostly due to the influx of boats. Fitting it required quite a bit of heavy drilling etc since it is mounted on a high tensile stainless steel plate. Anyway we now have a very swishy and efficient designer windlass which works!

We spent some time touring around Opua, just soaking up the delights of being able to buy fresh food. Fresh asparagus at the KeriKeri farmers market, any green vegetables you could want - mostly locally grown. High quality meat etc etc. We also visited Omata estate, the home of one of the couples we had met this year. Colin and Marion own a beautiful waterfront estate, set in woodland with a vineyard which produces high quality wine. The woodland walks were quite reminiscent of our place in Cornwall, but they had the better sea views.

Finally, after numerous parties and other social occasions organised by the indefatigable John of Windflower we set sail south for Gulf Harbour, planning a day stop in the bay of islands en route.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lady Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Falmouth
Crew: Michael & Jackie Chapman
Lady Kay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Ha'apai islands with Tamsin and Paul
7 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
No Photos
Created 23 November 2008
No Photos
Created 13 August 2008
Petra & Bob's birthday party
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2008
2 Photos
Created 24 July 2008