Around the World

23 February 2013 | Similan Islands Thailand
21 February 2013 | Bay of Bengal
15 February 2013 | Cinque Islands
15 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
12 February 2013 | North Button Island
10 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
09 February 2013 | Havelock Island
06 February 2013 | Neil Island
04 February 2013 | Rutland Island
01 February 2013 | Andaman Sea
30 January 2013 | Port Blair
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
03 December 2012 | Burma
02 December 2012
08 November 2012
08 November 2012 | Thailand
08 November 2012
10 June 2012 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
06 February 2012 | Malaysia

Shaw Island

16 September 2010 | Whitsundays
Michael and Jackie
As our genoa furling rig was broke, we set off for Shaw Island planning to use our gennaker. This is a good sail for winds that go from our beam to our aft. The spinnaker is better when the wind is right aft. Both sails though are designed for lightish winds. A genoa is nice and easy you just unfurl it. These other sails require lines to be laid out and have to be hauled up in position. This means that hauling them up is a test of memory. Inevitably something is forgotten, a line goes over another, something is back to front. So it was we managed to get lines confused and had to haul the sail up and down but eventually we were doing a pleasant 7 knots with a small mainsail and the gennaker pulling us along.

Along the way we met more hump back whales. At too much of a distance for a good photograph but still spectacular as they leapt out of the sea with huge white splashes as their fins hit out the sea.Shaw island is long and thin with anchorages up the North West side. It faces another island, Lindeman island. As you turn into the channel the North side of Lindeman island has an ugly looking Club Med resort. It didn't look very busy. Apparently Club Med's day is past and the company is heading for financial collapse.

We headed up the channel between the two islands our speed dropping as the tide started to turn. The tides here increase or decrease our speed by around 2 knots. In a channel such as this the difference can be as much as 4 knots. We anchored at a bay called Neck Bay. Our guide to the area described it as a snug anchorage. What we hadn't appreciated until we arrived was that it was called Neck Bay because it is created by a narrow low strip of land between two high hills. This makes for a beautiful bay with a sandy beach. It also means that any wind from the South East is concentrated through the bay. Because of the big tides you cannot anchor too close on for fear of going aground. So although the sea is relatively flat the wind whistled through the anchorage.

We sat down at dusk to eat when we spotted a pod of dolphins leaping behind us. They came out of the water a bit like spinner dolphins, jumping into the air then falling. They provided an exciting evening entertainment.

During the night our wind generator poured out power, but the howling wind was disturbing. So we spent the evening watching an episode of Sherlock, a brilliant update of Sherlock Holmes. A Study in Scarlet has become a Study in Pink. Strange that we can be in out of the way places like this and watch British TV.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lady Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Falmouth
Crew: Michael & Jackie Chapman
Lady Kay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Ha'apai islands with Tamsin and Paul
7 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
No Photos
Created 23 November 2008
No Photos
Created 13 August 2008
Petra & Bob's birthday party
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2008
2 Photos
Created 24 July 2008