Around the World

23 February 2013 | Similan Islands Thailand
21 February 2013 | Bay of Bengal
15 February 2013 | Cinque Islands
15 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
12 February 2013 | North Button Island
10 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
09 February 2013 | Havelock Island
06 February 2013 | Neil Island
04 February 2013 | Rutland Island
01 February 2013 | Andaman Sea
30 January 2013 | Port Blair
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
03 December 2012 | Burma
02 December 2012
08 November 2012
08 November 2012 | Thailand
08 November 2012
10 June 2012 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
06 February 2012 | Malaysia

Crossing to Borneo dodging the obstacles

04 October 2011 | Java Sea
michael and jackie
We're currently on passage to Kumai, which is in Kulimintan, part of Borneo, and it's all a bit of an obstacle race. The first part of the journey was to the island of Raas, a fast crossing in strong wind. The main obstacles here are pesky floats which are dotted everywhere to attract fish. They are wooden platforms about 6ft by 6ft sometimes with a wooden palm cross on them. Later versions had small flags with bits of wood attached. The small flags are lower than the waves so you seldom get much chance of seeing them until it is almost too late. We anchored at Raas in flat water amongst numerous local fishing boats with the wind howling through at over 30 knots.

However, the next morning the wind was much lighter, and it was mostly motorsailing. Ships are a bit like London buses, for a time you see none, and then they suddenly all converge on you. Three large ships and us all seemed to like exactly the same bit of sea. We called them on the radio and all was fine. This rule seemed to apply again. We hooked a massive fish, probably a tuna. It dived and even our largest reel could not really hold it. We sat not moving planning our next move. Oh dear, a tanker bearing down on us. At 6 knots it would clear us, stationary no. So sadly half a reel of line and my best lure had to be sacrificed.

Next incident at 2 am an external alternator regulator failed leaving us with no source of electrical power. Luckily Michael was able to sort that out quite speedily and power was restored so no lost freezer etc.

Final incident - our genoa started developing tears - the effect of a lot of use and solar damage. So on arrival in Kalimintan - this had to be repaired as well.

Night watches on ocean crossings are surprisingly relaxing things, if the weather is good. In Indonesia they require maximum concentration. Brightly lit squid boats compete with unlit fishing boats. If the fisherman spots you he suddenly puts on a light, then to save batteries will switch it off again. Leaving you to wonder - did you see a light - is it close, is it far, where are the nets etc etc. We managed to make it to Borneo without catching any fishing nets, and are now waiting to go orangutan hunting.

The photo is of a colourful hazard
Comments
Vessel Name: Lady Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Falmouth
Crew: Michael & Jackie Chapman
Lady Kay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Ha'apai islands with Tamsin and Paul
7 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
No Photos
Created 23 November 2008
No Photos
Created 13 August 2008
Petra & Bob's birthday party
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2008
2 Photos
Created 24 July 2008