Around the World

23 February 2013 | Similan Islands Thailand
21 February 2013 | Bay of Bengal
15 February 2013 | Cinque Islands
15 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
12 February 2013 | North Button Island
10 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
09 February 2013 | Havelock Island
06 February 2013 | Neil Island
04 February 2013 | Rutland Island
01 February 2013 | Andaman Sea
30 January 2013 | Port Blair
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
03 December 2012 | Burma
02 December 2012
08 November 2012
08 November 2012 | Thailand
08 November 2012
10 June 2012 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
06 February 2012 | Malaysia

Further bus trips

26 October 2008 | Opua
Jackie & Michael
On Saturday Tiny picked us up to take us to Pahia to catch the ferry to the small town of Russell. Russell was originally a fortified Maori settlement, but after a turbulent history it became a magnet for escaped convicts, whalers, prostitutes and drunk sailors. Charles Darwin described it as full of 'the refuse of society' and it became known as the 'hellhole of the Pacific'. However, it is now a pretty colonial-style beach front town full of restaurants and galleries. Going on the ferry across we watched boats arriving from the classic East Coast race from Auckland to Russell. The weather had been terrible with lots of gales and there were some very wet crew.

It will be of no surprise that we first went for a long lunch at a really nice and relaxed restaurant, before going our separate ways to explore the town. We visited the craft show and looked in galleries etc. before meeting up at the bar prior to returning on the ferry. We had a fairly quiet evening for once.

On Sunday we had an early start, with Tiny picking us up at 8.30 a.m. to take us to Kerikeri to visit the farmers market and then do a supermarket shop. However, Tiny first took us to a little cafe where they served really wonderful breakfasts and some of the best coffee I have had for a while. Suitably refreshed we then drove on to the farmers' market. The market was full of beautifully fresh fruit and veg. Asparagus, avocados, baby courgettes and strawberries are all in season - my idea of heaven. After stocking up with fruit and veg we then finished our provisioning at the supermarket. It was a luxury to be able to provision so well - never had that quality or variety of food before on our trips. Also, much of it is organic, which is an added bonus.

In the evening we all went to the yacht club for a farewell meal as Storyteller and Southern Princess were leaving the following morning at daybreak for Auckland. It was sad to say goodbye, although we do hope to catch up with them at some time later on in our trip. We are now down to just Harmonie and us, and Harmonie will also be leaving for their trip home soon.

Picture is of our magic bus - unfortunately it is not Tiny driving as he had to go off to tow away some crashed cars.

xxx
Comments
Vessel Name: Lady Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Falmouth
Crew: Michael & Jackie Chapman
Lady Kay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Ha'apai islands with Tamsin and Paul
7 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
No Photos
Created 23 November 2008
No Photos
Created 13 August 2008
Petra & Bob's birthday party
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2008
2 Photos
Created 24 July 2008