Around the World

23 February 2013 | Similan Islands Thailand
21 February 2013 | Bay of Bengal
15 February 2013 | Cinque Islands
15 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
12 February 2013 | North Button Island
10 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
09 February 2013 | Havelock Island
06 February 2013 | Neil Island
04 February 2013 | Rutland Island
01 February 2013 | Andaman Sea
30 January 2013 | Port Blair
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
03 December 2012 | Burma
02 December 2012
08 November 2012
08 November 2012 | Thailand
08 November 2012
10 June 2012 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
06 February 2012 | Malaysia

Mount Hobson & Kauri dams

19 November 2008 | Great Barrier Island
Jackie & Michael
We unearthed our walking boots and went for our first proper tramp in NZ today. We met up with Robyn and Mary and were taken by Mike in his minivan up to our starting point on the far side of the island. The first part of the walk was stunning as it took us through windy canyon with its vertical sides speckled with obsidian, up and down some small peaks and up to the top of mount Hobson, 627 metres. The last part of the climb up to the top was up a very scenic raised staircase, built to protect the nesting sites of black petrels and winding up through a thick forested glen. I have never climbed to the top of a peak up a staircase before! The views from the top were spectacular - we could see all of Barrier Island and also across the Hauraki gulf to the Coramandel peninsula.

After lunch on the top we went back along a rather slippery and steep path which followed a river valley down. We came across the remains of a kauri dam, and after about an hour to the main kauri dam shown in this photo. The whole of Great Barrier Island was more or less totally deforested between 1796 and 1942, when the logging of kauri trees finally was stopped. Because the kauri tree grows so straight it was widely used for ship masts. Many of the trees were up to 2 thousand years old when they were felled. The British Navy took a large consignment of timber from here. When the lower slopes were exhausted, logging took place higher and higher up the peaks, and the loggers got the timber down from the highest levels by using a series of dams to produce high water flows which washed the timber down the river to the coast. There are still isolated kauri trees in the forest - mainly ones which branched low down and were no use for timber. However, the kauri trees are growing again and there are now some stands of quite sizeable ones.

We greatly enjoyed our walk and (Kerry) we had plenty of sunshine and no rain.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lady Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Falmouth
Crew: Michael & Jackie Chapman
Lady Kay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Ha'apai islands with Tamsin and Paul
7 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
No Photos
Created 23 November 2008
No Photos
Created 13 August 2008
Petra & Bob's birthday party
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2008
2 Photos
Created 24 July 2008