Around the World

23 February 2013 | Similan Islands Thailand
21 February 2013 | Bay of Bengal
15 February 2013 | Cinque Islands
15 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
12 February 2013 | North Button Island
10 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
09 February 2013 | Havelock Island
06 February 2013 | Neil Island
04 February 2013 | Rutland Island
01 February 2013 | Andaman Sea
30 January 2013 | Port Blair
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
03 December 2012 | Burma
02 December 2012
08 November 2012
08 November 2012 | Thailand
08 November 2012
10 June 2012 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
06 February 2012 | Malaysia

Summer has come

30 November 2008 | Waiheke Island
Jackie & Michael
We left the Coromandel Peninsula in the hope of a good sail to Waiheke Island and it was to start with. Unfortunately the wind dropped off about half way across so we had to motor the rest of the way.

Our first anchorage was off the main village of Oneara and it was a nice change to be able to walk ashore to shops, cafes and restaurants and enjoy a lunch ashore as well as beautiful walks along the coastal path. The wind changed direction overnight and we had to move around to another bay. However, this bay also had paths going into town and around the coast to lovely viewpoints. There are some stunning properties here.

It has been really hot the last few days and swimming has become an enjoyable way to cool off. The sea is definitely warming up. The weather has been beautiful with clear skies and a pleasant breeze. We had a magical night when Venus and Jupiter were setting close together, the sky was a mass of stars and the sea was like a mirror image as it was sparkling with phosphorescence.

The island is very pretty. It is currently a mass of flowers and is a sensory delight, with agapanthus, honeysuckle, wild roses, jasmine, flowering trees etc. all contributing to the scent and colour. The island also has many vineyards and olive groves and produces a wide range of different wines as well as olive oil.

Our pretty bay was fairly empty when we arrived, but Friday night everything changed as boats started arriving from Auckland for the weekend, by Saturday the bay was crowded and by Sunday evening it was empty again. The island is under an hour by fast ferry from Auckland and a lot of people also come across by ferry to enjoy the island and its vineyards. We hadn't really realised how close we were until we walked the coastal path the other direction and suddenly were looking between some islands right across to Auckland - quite a wonderful view.

On Sunday we booked a meal at one of the vineyards - Mud Brick Vineyard. We went ashore at 10 am and did a circular walk along coast and hills to arrive, very hot and very thirsty at 1p.m. The vineyard had a stunning view with sea on all sides and looking across the Auckland. The food was absolutely fabulous - as good as the best London restaurants and a lot cheaper, and grew all its own herbs and vegetables. The wine was very good as well. We had quite a long walk back, and were glad to throw ourselves in the sea when we got back to the boat. Back to reality tomorrow as we sail to the marina at Gulf Harbour and start work on the boat.
Comments
Vessel Name: Lady Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Falmouth
Crew: Michael & Jackie Chapman
Lady Kay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Ha'apai islands with Tamsin and Paul
7 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
No Photos
Created 23 November 2008
No Photos
Created 13 August 2008
Petra & Bob's birthday party
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2008
2 Photos
Created 24 July 2008