Around the World

23 February 2013 | Similan Islands Thailand
21 February 2013 | Bay of Bengal
15 February 2013 | Cinque Islands
15 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
12 February 2013 | North Button Island
10 February 2013 | Henry Lawrence Island
09 February 2013 | Havelock Island
06 February 2013 | Neil Island
04 February 2013 | Rutland Island
01 February 2013 | Andaman Sea
30 January 2013 | Port Blair
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
26 January 2013 | Andaman Sea
03 December 2012 | Burma
02 December 2012
08 November 2012
08 November 2012 | Thailand
08 November 2012
10 June 2012 | Rebak Marina Langkawi
06 February 2012 | Malaysia

Cruising with Tamsin and Paul

26 May 2009 | Ha'apai Group, Tonga
Jackie and Michael
We decided to leave Pangaimotu as soon as Tamsin and Paul arrived. Big Mama who runs the bar organised a highly efficient pickup. They arrived from Sidney at about 11.30pm were picked up by taxi and driven to the jetty on the mainland, about 20 minutes, and then taken by motorboat directly to our boat at anchor off the resort. They arrived just after midnight and were probably a bit surprised to be told that we would be sailing at dawn for the Ha'apais. The reason was that if we left at first light, 5 am, we would be able to arrive at the Ha'apais by the evening. We motored out of the lagoon and headed north. They were sound asleep. Soon we were under sail and shooting along at about 8 knots under full sail. So their first experience of the Pacific was fast and bumpy. We arrived at Nomuka Iki by about 2pm rather than our calculated arrival time of about 5pm. We stopped here for the night. The island was a stopping off place for Captains Cook, Bligh and Tasman. The northerly island has a small village whilst the southerly island which we anchored off has a distinctive wreck and the ruins of a prison.

From Nomuka it was a pleasant day sail to Haafeva. An attractive island where we stayed a few days. Ha'afeva has anchorages to the south and west which made it especially attractive for the poor weather we were expecting. We had moved north quickly to avoid the remnants of the storms which had caused massive flooding in Australia. Although we weren't expecting such strong winds we were expecting the wind to move from every direction.

The island has 100 inhabitants and four churches, mormon, catholic, church of tonga and methodist. Naturally they are the largest buildings. The islanders grow some food and have some pigs and chickens. The village had mains electricity and even a couple of street lights. There are lots of reefs there and we were able to have some good snorkeling. There is another smaller wreck on the ubiquitous reefs which surround the area.

The islands are quite remarkable in that they are almost all low level, typically just a few feet above sea level. Tiny islands almost adrift in a vast ocean but set against one island with a perfect volcanic cone acting as a reminder of the origins of all these islands.

We stayed at Ha'afeva until the thunderstorms passed and then sailed north again with Tamsin and Paul. This time we sailed through the night to the V'avua group - or rather I should say motored as there was not a breath of wind.

NEW PHOTOS IN THE GALLERY + NEW PHOTO SLIDE SHOWS ON EARLIER BLOGS
Comments
Vessel Name: Lady Kay
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380
Hailing Port: Falmouth
Crew: Michael & Jackie Chapman
Lady Kay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 March 2013
Ha'apai islands with Tamsin and Paul
7 Photos
Created 31 May 2009
No Photos
Created 23 November 2008
No Photos
Created 13 August 2008
Petra & Bob's birthday party
10 Photos
Created 2 August 2008
2 Photos
Created 24 July 2008