Now we are the M/V HOPE

New boat Grand Banks 42 as of March 25 2014

13 August 2015
15 July 2015 | Rouses Point USA
09 July 2015 | Ottawa, Canada
04 July 2015 | Burritt’s Rapids-Rideau River 30 Mi West of Ottawa
30 June 2015
28 June 2015 | Kingston CANADA
28 June 2015 | Kingston CANADA
24 June 2015 | Oswego New York Lake Ontario
23 June 2015
21 June 2015 | Brewerton NY
19 June 2015 | Oswego Canal
19 June 2015
15 June 2015
12 June 2015 | Canajo, NY
11 June 2015 | Amsterdam Town Dock

Where oh where is the Rideau Canal?

30 June 2015
Dede -Sun then Rain
From Dede's Perspective:

When Jim and I started to plan our Down East Cruise, we had decided, like most cruisers, to head northeast, up Lake Ontario, into the St Lawrence Seaway. At some point we heard about the Rideau and Richelieu-Chambly Canals. We bought charts and did more research. Plans changed...we decided to cruise from Kingston, Ontario to Ottawa via the "Rideau Canal"!! Our new route has been 1- of the most unforgettable experiences we have ever had!!

The Rideau Canal travels 126 miles from Ontario to Ottawa, Canada's capital. It is maintained and operated by Parks Canada, and is the oldest continuously operated canal in North America. The locks are operated today just as they were when 1st opened in 1832. Each lock is unique and the lock staff is ALWAYS ready to assist us! It is considered of universal value by UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization).

The Rideau Canal was conceived in the wake of the War of 1812. It was to be a wartime supply route providing a secure water route for troops and supplies from Montreal to reach the settlements of Upper Canada and the strategic naval dockyard at Kingston. It is the only canal from the great 19th-century canal-building era that still operates along its original route and with most of its original structures intact. The lockmasters and their staff continue the tradition of HAND-OPERATING the locks!! The gates remain wooden structures and the lock chambers the original hand cut limestone!

From Lake Ontario at Kingston, the Rideau begins its ascent up the Cataraqui River system, passing through the Cataraqui Marsh, an extensive wetland in the St. Lawrence Lowlands. At Kinston Mills, the most southerly lock station, we climbed a flight of locks, past towering granite cliffs, onto the Frontenac Axis, part of the Canadian Shield (large area of exposed Precambrian rock that forms the geological core of earh). Equally interesting are the little towns and villages on route. There are lockstations all along the route, encouraging us to stop and visit. The architectural heritage reflects years of canal history.

Last night we spent a lovely night against the wall of the Hotel Kenney, Jones Falls. Jones Falls, one of the most beautiful spots in the Rideau Lakes chain of lakes and waterways, is located at the confluence of Whitefish and Sand Lakes. The difference in lake levels at Jones Falls is nearly 80ft, and was overcome by the construction of four locks amidst the natural wooded beauty of this section; hence, the locking up the three "stairs" and one additional lock. The restored lock house and fort as well as the blacksmith's forge make for interesting viewing...whether on foot or by boat.

We began out morning early...becoming the first "lockers' at Jones Falls. We took a break at "Chaffeys Lock," and visited their small museum in the old Lockmaster's house. This building was used as a convalescent hospital for soldiers suffering from "shell shock" from 1916 until the end of the Great War. "Shell shock" is our modern day PTSD!

As we continued our day, we entered the Newboro Lock, the highest point of the Rideau Waterway, 407.5 feet above sea level.

We decided to come into the little village of Westport for tonight and tomorrow, to celebrate "Canada Day"!! As few of you may know, my heritage is Newfoundland, Canada, so what better way to spend tomorrow than "whoop it up" with the local Canadians!!

There is so much more I wish you could "feel" that we are experiencing...the charm, the beauty, the tranquility. The lakes and canals are so clear we can see bottom!! (Of course our Fathometer is reading 5 feet so go figure...LOL).

I am not sure why more cruisers don't select this route...there are some real constraints; eg, controlling depths of 5 feet (we are 4 foot 3in); height of boat (our mast is down, and might have to fold down our Bimini)...so these are considerations for some...but I feel so blessed that FOR TODAY we have our health, family support and ability (of my trusty captain) to have this experience.

So, to all our readers, stay tuned...and Happy Canada Day!!
Comments
Vessel Name: HOPE
Vessel Make/Model: Grand Banks 42
Hailing Port: East Greenwich, RI
Crew: Jim & Dede McGuire
About:
Jim is currently retired from Rhode Island College where he was a professor of Adult Vocational Education and Management. Dede is currently back into nursing after many years in upper level health care administration. [...]
Extra: This blog shifted "gears" April 4th 2014 from wind power to motor power and "GEARS"! We still adventuring and are setting off soon for a Down East Loop up the Hudson, NY canal system, St Lawrence Seaway down Lake Champlain and back to RI

Hope's Crew

Who: Jim & Dede McGuire
Port: East Greenwich, RI