s/v Full Monty

The purpose of this sail blog is to keep family and friends informed and up to date as our family sails the world and its many remote places.

06 February 2012
21 November 2011 | Beaufort, NC
10 November 2011 | Durham, NC
10 November 2011 | Beaufort, NC
18 October 2011 | Beaufort, NC
16 October 2011 | Beaufort, NC
16 October 2011 | Beaufort, NC
18 May 2011 | Beaufort, NC
03 May 2011 | Beaufort, NC
22 January 2011 | Beaufort, NC
09 November 2010 | Durham, NC
29 October 2010 | Beaufort
27 October 2010 | Beaufort
19 September 2010 | Durham, NC
04 September 2010 | Topsail Beach, NC
22 August 2010 | Topsail Beach, NC
15 November 2009 | Topsail Beach, NC
15 November 2009 | Jarrett Bay, Beaufort, NC
15 November 2009 | Jarrett Bay, Beaufort, NC
14 November 2009 | Jarrett Bay, Beaufort, NC

One step forward, two steps back, but Wow! It feels good!

10 June 2008 | Durham, NC
Jenny / 100 degrees & Sunny
We have taken a first big step! We have moved out of the Raleigh house, and I feel so liberated. I think Wil must feel the same way too. We are less a house payment, less some utility & insurance bills, and less a bunch of maintenance. Wow! It feels good!

However, getting here was not without some major stress and physical labor. There's something to be said for moving a family of four after 8 years in the same location, especially when you do it yourselves (and with the help of some wonderful friends & neighbors!). I thought I'd gotten rid of a lot - - consignment sales twice a year, yard sales at least once a year, two yard sales at the end, and countless donations. But the stuff kept coming out of the drawers and cabinets! We thought it'd never end. During our last week of moving, we barely had the energy to lift or move another item. By the time we walked out of closing, we were numb. BUT we had the biggest check we'd ever laid eyes on! AND it was our boat money! Wow! It feels good!

For the time being, we've crowded into a single-wide mobile home piled high with all of our boxes and things that didn't make it to the beach house. It was not love at first sight. It's an old trailer with a few additions, and it has all the character of a mobile home that's been sitting vacant on a farm for a long time. At first, it felt like a step backwards for us. Going from a nice house in a great neighborhood to an old trailer. (Our friends have lovingly laughed with us.) But now I kind of like it out here. We have managed to unpack a few things and give it some of our "home" touches. I even like the idea that we don't have a dishwasher. It's amazing how few dishes you need in a kitchen, and it reminds me of what it will be like to live aboard again. The kids love the trailer and being on the farm, as well. The donkey and peacocks are a stone's throw away, and the ponds are stocked with fish. And yes, they've already had a couple of successful evenings fishing. The kids have lots of space to ride the dirt bike & motor scooter, as well as hit a ball as far as possible. I've enjoyed being on "the farm" and in the fresh air (although this week has had some record temperatures of over 100). But wow! It still feels good!

Tomorrow, the kids and I make the move to the beach. That's the most confusing feeling. I've been counting the minutes until I'd be able to live at the beach, have ocean & sound views, take morning walks along the water, catch up on my surfing, and go kayaking. Sounds wonderful, doesn't it? However, Wil won't be with us full time. He'll stay in the rental, and continue working in the Triangle area. Fortunately, he'll work Monday through Thursday, and then be with us Thursday nights through Monday mornings. Now that's sacrifice! We're splitting the family up, so we can make the most money and not pay capital gains on the house when it's time to sell. We have to keep reminding ourselves - - it's all for a higher purpose - - to quit working, spend quality time with the family, and travel the world. Wow! Now that's going to feel good!

So for the time being we're back in a holding pattern. Again. But this time we're on the downhill side and sliding into home plate. Two years to go, and it's going to go quickly. There are so many things to do and not enough time. In addition to living a "normal" life, we are going to intensify the boat search. It's time to narrow the choices. Maybe this summer will allow for a trip or two to Florida or other locations where the boats are? I want to work on getting my captain's license which involves a variety of courses, as well as getting in some boating hours (tough to do when you don't have a boat). I want to re-learn celestial navigation and Morse code. I want the kids to gain some sailing experience. We need to get rid of more stuff. The list goes on. There are too many things and not enough time. Isn't that the story of everyone's life? There you go . . . One main reason for selling it all and going sailing! Wow! It will feel so good!
Comments
Vessel Name: Full Monty
Vessel Make/Model: 1993 Privilege 482-S Catamaran
Hailing Port: Topsail Beach, NC
Crew: Wil, Jenny, Justine & Colin
About: Wil (Co-Captain & Mechanic) Jenny (Co-Captain & Navigator) Justine (First Mate) Colin (Second Mate)
Extra: Full Monty currently resides in Beaufort, NC.

The Crew of Full Monty

Who: Wil, Jenny, Justine & Colin
Port: Topsail Beach, NC