s/v Full Monty

The purpose of this sail blog is to keep family and friends informed and up to date as our family sails the world and its many remote places.

06 February 2012
21 November 2011 | Beaufort, NC
10 November 2011 | Durham, NC
10 November 2011 | Beaufort, NC
18 October 2011 | Beaufort, NC
16 October 2011 | Beaufort, NC
16 October 2011 | Beaufort, NC
18 May 2011 | Beaufort, NC
03 May 2011 | Beaufort, NC
22 January 2011 | Beaufort, NC
09 November 2010 | Durham, NC
29 October 2010 | Beaufort
27 October 2010 | Beaufort
19 September 2010 | Durham, NC
04 September 2010 | Topsail Beach, NC
22 August 2010 | Topsail Beach, NC
15 November 2009 | Topsail Beach, NC
15 November 2009 | Jarrett Bay, Beaufort, NC
15 November 2009 | Jarrett Bay, Beaufort, NC
14 November 2009 | Jarrett Bay, Beaufort, NC

Emotional Roller Coaster

09 February 2009 | Topsail Beach, NC
Jenny / 59 & sunny
I think I'm still speechless.

I thought I would be able to write about our St. Martin trip by now, but it's taking me some time to get off the emotional roller coaster. Purchasing a boat of this magnitude involves a ton of decision making and prioritizing. However, once we returned home, it was very easy for Wil to change gears and continue doing what needs to be done. It takes me a bit longer for my adrenaline rush to settle. I literally blew off two days of necessary chores, so I could re-live every moment and wonder if we did the right thing.

To make a long story short, we did not buy this catamaran. She appeared to be a great boat for us, but the owner would not come to our final price. It was a difficult decision. Within what seemed like minutes sometimes, we would decide we weren't going to buy the boat, and then turn around and decide to continue towards the survey and sea-trial. Thanks to Brian (our broker), he kept us moving towards buying the boat. Of course, that's what a broker is supposed to do, right?! We tried to remain objective, though. We could afford to buy the boat, and it could safely carry us around the world. However, if we spent the additional money to purchase it, as well as upgrading or fixing all the little things this boat needed, then we would only be capable of sitting in home port, and Wil would have to work for an additional year or more. There may not be another boat like this in our price range, and we may regret our decision in the future, but we're taking that chance. Our goal is to go cruising.

Even though we spent time and money going to St. Martin, we had an awesome time and were able to solidify the fact that we definitely want the Privilege 48 catamaran. It is definitely a big catamaran with more than enough space, but it is also a solid boat. We sailed in 15-20 knots of wind from Anse Marcel to Marigot Bay, and she handled beautifully. We had hoped to be able to sail more to windward on the return trip, but the engine part of the survey had precedence. After hearing remarks from Brian and Jonathan (our surveyor), we are more confident in the ability of a Privilege. In the end, we may not ever be able to afford the 48-foot boat, but we have some time to see if one becomes available. If it's not the 48-footer, then maybe it will be a 45- or 42-footer. We're hoping that time and a rocky economy are on our side.

And speaking of rocky economy . . . In the meantime, we're getting our beach house ready to sell. So who in their right mind tries to sell a house when the economy is probably at it's record low? Our original plan was to live in the beach house for two years, so we could avoid paying capital gains when it sells. However, our hunch is that the economy is only going to get worse before it gets better. (everyone's opinion is different on this matter!) If we wait to sell next year at this time, we might only break even on the house. This house is our fund to pay off the boat and go cruising. We're going cruising! We might have to have a smaller boat, but we're going cruising.

In order to sum up the wonderful time we had in St. Martin, I created a video and have uploaded it to YouTube (www.youtube.com/langcruisers or click on "Our YouTube Videos" under our favorite links). At the same time, Brian's video labelled "1990 Privilege 48 in St. Martin" shows up as a related video. His footage shows a little more detail of the boat.

All in all, this has been an incredible learning experience. I'm sort of sad to almost be back to square one (and back to the colder climate!), but at least we know what boat we're after. I'm optimistic that time will be on our side, and relieved to take a break from the roller coaster ride.

Where will we end up next?
Comments
Vessel Name: Full Monty
Vessel Make/Model: 1993 Privilege 482-S Catamaran
Hailing Port: Topsail Beach, NC
Crew: Wil, Jenny, Justine & Colin
About: Wil (Co-Captain & Mechanic) Jenny (Co-Captain & Navigator) Justine (First Mate) Colin (Second Mate)
Extra: Full Monty currently resides in Beaufort, NC.
Gallery Error: Unknown Album [1:]:4507
Full Monty's Photos -

The Crew of Full Monty

Who: Wil, Jenny, Justine & Colin
Port: Topsail Beach, NC