s/v Full Monty

The purpose of this sail blog is to keep family and friends informed and up to date as our family sails the world and its many remote places.

06 February 2012
21 November 2011 | Beaufort, NC
10 November 2011 | Durham, NC
10 November 2011 | Beaufort, NC
18 October 2011 | Beaufort, NC
16 October 2011 | Beaufort, NC
16 October 2011 | Beaufort, NC
18 May 2011 | Beaufort, NC
03 May 2011 | Beaufort, NC
22 January 2011 | Beaufort, NC
09 November 2010 | Durham, NC
29 October 2010 | Beaufort
27 October 2010 | Beaufort
19 September 2010 | Durham, NC
04 September 2010 | Topsail Beach, NC
22 August 2010 | Topsail Beach, NC
15 November 2009 | Topsail Beach, NC
15 November 2009 | Jarrett Bay, Beaufort, NC
15 November 2009 | Jarrett Bay, Beaufort, NC
14 November 2009 | Jarrett Bay, Beaufort, NC

4/22/2009 ~ We Did It!

29 April 2009 | Ft Lauderdale to Wrightsville Beach
Jenny / sunny / WNW to SW winds 10-15 kts / seas 2-4 ft
[The photo is an image of our journey using the SPOT]

What a tremendous feeling of satisfaction when you are able to take the first bearing in a few days and discover that you are right where you need to be.

We approached Frying Pan Shoals at about 1830 (4/21/09) and immediately saw the big platform near the outermost buoy. Since we were arriving to the shoals before sundown, we decided we had enough daylight hours to cut across the shoals. The seas were calmer, so we didn't need to worry about our depth as much.

By about 2000 we were safely across the shoals and starting to see the glow on the horizon that signified landfall. It's always exciting to know that land is nearing, but at the same time it's sad to say good-bye to the ocean for a little while. The peacefulness & solitude are refreshing to the soul.

Our greenhorns have gained a new understanding and respect for the ocean. Things weren't always easy. At times they felt queasy, but they pushed on & never got sick. We now know who to ask when we need some extra crew onboard! Also, when we speak of our passages in the future, they will have a greater understanding of our experiences.

We all had a good laugh after a sail change on Frying Pan Shoals. Bill was in the galley cooking spaghetti, Wil was at the helm, and Ben & I were forward bringing down the main. Dare I mention how a boat rocks in the waves under bare poles? Bill had to catch the pot of spaghetti sauce in mid-air, and try to keep everything else on the stove. Ben & I were slipping all over the foredeck, and Ben had to rescue me as I slid down the top deck headed for the life lines. Wil stood comfortably at the helm watching everyone else falling all over themselves. We explained to them how that's what it's like on a monohull most of the time!

At 0210 on 4/22/09, we dropped the hook in Bank's Channel after blindly navigating in through a glassy, flat Masonboro Inlet.

Wil & I had hoped for a smooth anchoring without any words between us. However, I'd been at the helm for the past 5 hours and desperately needed the head. Needless to say, we appeared to be one of those couples who argue all the time during an anchor drill. I have to say that since this is the first time in 10 years that we've anchored together, and we were utterly exhausted, we should be forgiven. We will make up for it in the future when we return to being the couple that only uses hand signals & not a word spoken while dropping the hook.

After getting the boat situated for the remainder of the night, we all found our pillows and sacked out quite easily.

After a good night's sleep, we picked up the hook about 1015 and headed for the Wrightsville Beach bridge for the 1100 opening. We cruised up the waterway with a partial jib helping us achieve 7-8 knots in a NW wind. As we got closer to Topsail Island, the wind gusts seemed to be coming with greater force. We navigated the shallows of the sound to our anchorage with the wind blowing about 30 knots with gusts up to 46 knots! There's no question about whether our anchor is holding.

Now the anchor is down and Full Monty is in her new temporary home. We have put out 3 anchors (2 on chain and one on rhode). It's a wonderful feeling to look out the window from the house and see our boat anchored right there. Such a huge feeling of accomplishment.

Now it's time for the hard work to really begin!


Comments
Vessel Name: Full Monty
Vessel Make/Model: 1993 Privilege 482-S Catamaran
Hailing Port: Topsail Beach, NC
Crew: Wil, Jenny, Justine & Colin
About: Wil (Co-Captain & Mechanic) Jenny (Co-Captain & Navigator) Justine (First Mate) Colin (Second Mate)
Extra: Full Monty currently resides in Beaufort, NC.

The Crew of Full Monty

Who: Wil, Jenny, Justine & Colin
Port: Topsail Beach, NC