Sailing the Good Life

Summer of 2014-2015

Vessel Name: Meow
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 44
Hailing Port: Nantucket
Crew: Varies
12 August 2015 | Nantucket Harbor
11 August 2015 | Gulf of Maine
10 August 2015 | Out in the Gulf of Maine
09 August 2015 | Pulpit Harbor
08 August 2015 | Castine Harbor
07 August 2015 | Center Harbor
06 August 2015 | Sommesville
05 August 2015 | Northeast Harbor, Me
04 August 2015 | Moose Island, Me.
03 August 2015 | Northhaven, Me.
02 August 2015 | Port Clyde, Me.
01 August 2015 | Marblehead, Ma.
30 July 2015 | Ptown
29 July 2015 | Nantucket Harbor
27 July 2015 | Nantucket Harbor
27 July 2015 | Nantucket Harbor
01 July 2015 | Back at the mooring
Recent Blog Posts
12 August 2015 | Nantucket Harbor

Provincetown to Nantucket; the final leg

11 August 2015 | Gulf of Maine

Gulf of Maine to Ptown

8/11

10 August 2015 | Out in the Gulf of Maine

Pulpit Harbor to Nantucket

Pulpit to Nantucket

09 August 2015 | Pulpit Harbor

Castine to Pulpit

August 9, 2015

08 August 2015 | Castine Harbor

Center Harbor to Castine

August 8

07 August 2015 | Center Harbor

Sommes to Center Harbor

August 7

Exploring Stonington and getting things fixed

04 August 2015 | Moose Island, Me.
foggy am, clearing late pm
August 4
Doug got up early and went jogging back to town early. He is a 5:30 guy and likes to get going. Moby is an early riser too so about a half hour later he decided to walk back to town and get the dingy. The people in Maine seem way too friendly. On the way someone stopped him and gave him a ride to town. He stopped into a coffee shop and passed Doug on the way out. We needed some bacon and OJ so Moby asked the lady in the coffee shop if there was a grocery store in town. She told him that it was about a mile and a half out of town. He said thanks but that was too far so she offered to let him use her car. Are you kidding? He was uncomfortable so she told him to have a seat. She went back in the shop and brought out a baggy full of bacon and two liters of OJ. Said she would take 15.00 for it. Probably cheaper than the store.
Meanwhile, back on the boat, Greg showed up to look at the problem and try to get his head around what the problem could be. A few quick checks didn't reveal any answers so he told us that his road mechanic was on location today and was working on another boat that had just come in from Marblehead. When he was done he would stop over. His name was Will.
Will showed up about an hour later with his tools. A great young man who was highly skilled and was all over checking out the generator. I don't know how he figured it out but the generator was working in two hours. It took him longer to get the parts from the ships store then to actually do the work. We wouldn't have found this problem if it took the rest of our lives.
I mentioned to him that we had a problem with our starboard alternator. He said he would look at that. That was fixed in half an hour. We were back to full power and looking great. The only problem was the dingy.
We paid our bill, tipped everyone well for helping us out and headed on to McGlathery's Island.
Arrived at McGlathery's Island around 4pm. It was definitely one of the most picturesque anchorages. It reminded me of Doubtful Sound in New Zealand. At first we were the only boat in this small anchorage. Before the sunset, two other monohulls also showed up to enjoy the serenity. We took the dingy to shore and did a hike on the rocks leading around the island. The further we went, the more beautiful it got. The woods were so thick that it was impossible to hike through.
The tidal drop up here in Maine is at least 10 feet. When we arrived you could only see rocks. By the time we went ashore, there was a beach. We were gone for about an hour and our dingy was 10 feet up on the beach.
We had taco night on board and turned in early.
Comments
Meow's Photos - Main
Trip from Nantucket to Penobscot Bay
46 Photos
Created 7 August 2015
Sailing Adventures of the Catamaran "Meow" Summer 2015
26 Photos
Created 10 June 2015
No Photos
Created 24 September 2014
No Photos
Created 12 August 2014
July 26th
No Photos
Created 31 July 2014
Trap team from 25-30 years ago on Nantucket this week
14 Photos
Created 31 July 2014
6 Photos
Created 19 July 2014
6 Photos
Created 12 July 2014
12 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
La Savanne's voyage to Nantucket
11 Photos
Created 23 June 2014