Sailing the Good Life

Summer of 2014-2015

Vessel Name: Meow
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 44
Hailing Port: Nantucket
Crew: Varies
12 August 2015 | Nantucket Harbor
11 August 2015 | Gulf of Maine
10 August 2015 | Out in the Gulf of Maine
09 August 2015 | Pulpit Harbor
08 August 2015 | Castine Harbor
07 August 2015 | Center Harbor
06 August 2015 | Sommesville
05 August 2015 | Northeast Harbor, Me
04 August 2015 | Moose Island, Me.
03 August 2015 | Northhaven, Me.
02 August 2015 | Port Clyde, Me.
01 August 2015 | Marblehead, Ma.
30 July 2015 | Ptown
29 July 2015 | Nantucket Harbor
27 July 2015 | Nantucket Harbor
27 July 2015 | Nantucket Harbor
01 July 2015 | Back at the mooring
Recent Blog Posts
12 August 2015 | Nantucket Harbor

Provincetown to Nantucket; the final leg

11 August 2015 | Gulf of Maine

Gulf of Maine to Ptown

8/11

10 August 2015 | Out in the Gulf of Maine

Pulpit Harbor to Nantucket

Pulpit to Nantucket

09 August 2015 | Pulpit Harbor

Castine to Pulpit

August 9, 2015

08 August 2015 | Castine Harbor

Center Harbor to Castine

August 8

07 August 2015 | Center Harbor

Sommes to Center Harbor

August 7

Center Harbor to Castine

08 August 2015 | Castine Harbor
Beautiful
August 8
Were exploring different small anchorages today. First Stop is Benjamin River and then up to Buck’s Harbor. These are all places that Doug has been to and put on the things we should see. Each one would be a great place to spend the night and are obviously popular by the count of boats in them.
Our destination is Castine, Me. This is where the Maine Maritime Academy is located. It is very picturesque town with beautiful large summer homes lining the coast and at big light house marking its entrance. Doug’s knowledge came in very handy here as he called ahead and reserved the last mooring in the anchorage. We would have had to anchor across the harbor and it would have been a long dingy ride. He also knew about the Penatagoet Inn and made dinner reservations for us there. The owner of this inn is a former CIA agent and his brother is associated with Eastern Yacht Club in Marblehead. He recoginized Doug the moment we walked in.
Doug has to work Monday so we will be dropping Doug and Lucy off here tomorrow. They have arranged to be picked up and brought back to NE Harbor where we left their car. It’s about an hour from here.
This might be a good time to mention how Doug and Lucy’s extensive knowledge of this area has added significantly to the quality of our experience. They know most of the anchorages, the best time to arrive, which you can make reservations for moorings and who to call. There would have been no way for us to enjoy what we have, the way we have without their experience and knowledge of these islands. There are simply too many islands and too many anchorages to even begin to find where we have been.
We pulled into Eaton’s Marine and pulled up to the fuel dock like we knew what we were doing. We take up a lot of space so we drew some attention. We took on fuel, water and ice. Dumped our garbage and headed for our mooring. Eaton’s does things the old fashion way: In God we trust, all others pay cash. Their hospitality was exceptional and going ashore there was like a scene out of the White Squall. Old fashioned, dirt roads and old buildings that are simply classic. A real genuine feeling that you just can;’t find.
Doug and Lucy went for a jog and Moby and I toured around Castine. Moby and I ended up at a neat little dockside restaurant with a nice bar ( Dennett’s ) right on the water with our boat out front. Since there are only three in town, it didn’t take a detective to find us and Doug and Lucy chased us down and joined us. Back to the boat for showers and “smart casual attire” for dinner.
By the time we were finished with dinner it was time to get to bed early. Tomorrow packing up and we are beginning our trec back home.
Comments
Meow's Photos - Main
Trip from Nantucket to Penobscot Bay
46 Photos
Created 7 August 2015
Sailing Adventures of the Catamaran "Meow" Summer 2015
26 Photos
Created 10 June 2015
No Photos
Created 24 September 2014
No Photos
Created 12 August 2014
July 26th
No Photos
Created 31 July 2014
Trap team from 25-30 years ago on Nantucket this week
14 Photos
Created 31 July 2014
6 Photos
Created 19 July 2014
6 Photos
Created 12 July 2014
12 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
La Savanne's voyage to Nantucket
11 Photos
Created 23 June 2014