Sailing Leander

Sailing Leander

Who: Sima Baran & Paul Robertson
Port: Boston
22 November 2010 | Fethiye, Turkey
22 October 2010
20 July 2010 | Endeavor Bay, Tawila Island, Egypt
17 July 2010 | Red Sea, Egypt
15 July 2010 | 27 41 N, 33 48 E
14 June 2010 | 14 48 N, 42 57 E
12 June 2010
08 June 2010 | Sataya (Dolphin) Reef, Red Sea, off the coast of Egypt
07 June 2010 | Dangerous Reef, Foul Bay, Egypt
02 June 2010 | Khor el Morob, Sudan
30 May 2010 | Marsa Shin'Ab, Sudan
27 May 2010 | Marsa Shin'ab, Sudan
25 May 2010 | Suakin, Sudan
24 May 2010 | Aden, Yemen
03 May 2010 | Day 5: 160 miles northeast of Aden, 15 miles from the Yemeni Coast
29 April 2010 | Day 1: Passage to Yemen
24 April 2010 | Day 16: 135 Miles From Salalah, Oman
21 April 2010 | Day 13: 460 Miles From Salalah, Oman
19 April 2010 | Day 11: A Little Bit Closer to Oman
18 April 2010 | In the midst of the Arabian Sea

Suakin, Sudan

25 May 2010 | Suakin, Sudan
Paul
7:00 p.m. (14:00 UTC) Tuesday, 24 May 2010 19 06 N, 37 20 E

We're in Suakin, in Sudan on the banks of the Red Sea. So much is happening every day that it has been difficult to keep up with postings.

Here's what we've been up to:

1. We visited Sana'a, an ancient but very much living city in Northern Yemen. We wandered stone streets with 1000 year-old buildings, some looking great for their age while others were little more than piles of rubble. We visited the market where we watched tradesmen working with kilns, hammers, tongs, and anvils to pound out nails from scrap pieces of metal, and saw merchants selling spices, herbs, and grains from gigantic baskets. Names like "miller, smith, sawyer, and cooper" have real meaning here. Townsfolk streamed by as we sat and watched, women in black with nothing else visible but dark eyes, sometimes stealing glances to search you out as you them. And men, some holding hands, as is there wont, dressed in earth-colored skirts and turbans, white shirts, and the obligatory scabbard in their belts, their cheeks more often than not full of qat.

2. We did the final run through pirate alley, leaving the Gulf of Aden for the Red Sea, with three armed Yemeni Coast Guard personnel aboard, provided courtesy of a Yemeni friend of a friend of a friend from back home, Bob Delferro. The guards were a treat, both in scaring away two questionable approaches, and because they were great guys. We taught them sailing and fishing and they taught us about Yemen and waved automatic weapons around when boats got too close. Good photos of a machine gun mounted on LEANDER's foredeck, or, more appropriately, forecastle. We'll do a note about that trip.

3. We spent a couple of days in Hudaydah Yemen, again with an armed guard at our elbow. We had no problems there either. We drove by a huge outdoor qat market at night with hundreds of men buying, selling, and chewing qat on elevated, lit platforms. A sight to see.

4. We have now made it to Suakin, which is yet another magical place. It is an ancient trading post, but the old town has mostly crumbled into the sea, and is deserted. It looks like Atlantis or maybe a European city after a WW II bombing run. Beautiful classical buildings are 1/2 standing, with archways and columns holding up nothing but air and stairways going up three stories to floors that are long gone. We wander the city by ourselves, with no one else in sight. We imagine that the ruins of ancient Greece or Rome might have looked similarly fresh and untouched 100 years ago before they became a theme park.

It's first light now here in Suakin. Eagles float around our mast and, alighting, make a racket. That woke us up this morning, actually.

The sun is shining off the remains of the ruined city while across a causeway behind us, the town - the new town - is coming to life. Mixed with the clatter and clinking of the day's work beginning and human voices, one hears donkeys braying, the preferred beast of burden here. A bus pulls away on the road to Port Sudan. On the other side of a causeway, we see a group of men bathing, chanting a song together as they do, then stopping, together, when the sun makes its appearance through the dusty desert haze.

We wish we could share the pictures already! Of donkeys pulling water tanks down the main street, of colorful fishing boats hauled up along a bleached white wall, of a fisherman painting one of those boats with a bucket of red paint and a small rag, his entire hand, blood red from the paint, or of a pale white sun dissolving into a sand storm that had already swallowed the mountains it was trying to set behind. And the ruins - we just couldn't stop taking the same pictures of them, in morning, at Noon, at dusk.

Northern Sudan is in Islamic Africa, but just barely. When we started to greet folks here with the traditional Islamic hello, "Salaam al Haykum" ("I greet you in the name of God."), which we've been using in other Islamic countries that we've visited, we get back "Merhaba" instead, the more secular "hello" used in Turkey.

Each day we go and see John, a baker. He works inside a dark building next to a brick oven all day, but the heat doesn't seem to bother him. For some reason, during our visits, we don't notice the heat either. Maybe we've gotten used to the oven outside too.

From John we purchase ten sandwich-sized fluffy pitas for fifty cents. We later stop by a school to drop off some scrap paper, and are followed throughout the dusty courtyard by fifty screaming school girls who must think we're the Beatles. And if we stop to talk to someone, we are quickly surrounded by many others curious to meet the outsiders. We don't mind. We're as curious as they are. We walk by a bus stopped at the gas station, full of brightly veiled women, rhythmically moaning and clucking a high-pitched lament in unison on their way to a funeral.

We are reef hopping now, continuing up the Red Sea. We are off to sea again today, getting an early start. In the morning, there are no winds, but in the afternoon they blow 15-25 knots on the nose. So we are going in short hops, and feel no more time pressure. Life has slowed down a little bit.

Off we go. All is good aboard Leander.

---------- radio email processed by SailMail for information see: http://www.sailmail.com
Comments
Vessel Name: Leander
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol 41.1
Hailing Port: Boston
Crew: Sima Baran & Paul Robertson
About: Following our wedding in Istanbul we are taking a two-year break from land-life and going sailing. Sima is taking time off between strategy consulting and business school while Paul is on a sabbatical from his career as an attorney.

Sailing Leander

Who: Sima Baran & Paul Robertson
Port: Boston