26 January 2020 | 330 Miles SSE Of Tahiti
25 January 2020 | 340 Miles South East Of Tahiti
24 January 2020 | 450 Miles SSE Of Tahiti
23 January 2020 | 75 Miles West Of Mururoa
22 January 2020 | 45 Miles East South East Of Mururoa Atoll, Tuomotu Archipelago
21 January 2020 | 4 Miles South Of Maria Atoll, Tuomotu Archipelago
21 January 2020 | 20 Miles South East Of Maria Atoll, Tuomotus
20 January 2020 | 80 Miles North East Of Isles Gambier ( Mangareva )
19 January 2020 | 180 Miles North East Of Mangareva Island
18 January 2020 | 320 Miles North East Of Mangareva Island
17 January 2020 | 380 Miles North Of Pitcairn Island
16 January 2020 | 465 Miles NNE Of Pitcairn Island
15 January 2020 | 575 Miles North East Of Pitcairn Island
14 January 2020 | 620 Miles North East Of Pitcairn Island
13 January 2020 | 680 Miles North East Of Pitcairn Island
12 January 2020 | 760 Miles NE Of Pitcairn Island
11 January 2020 | 830 Miles ENE Of Pitcairn Island
10 January 2020 | 910 Miles NNE Of Pitcairn Island
09 January 2020 | 990 Miles East Of Pitcairn Island
08 January 2020 | 1080 Miles East Of Pitcairn Island
25 February 2020 | Scarborough Marina, Brisbane
D Day Plus 4 7am Wednesday 26th February 2020
So much has happened since I crossed the finish line at the Gold Coast Seaway on Saturday morning at 10:28 am that I just don't have the ability to put it down in a single coherent blog so let me in this one give a huge thank you to all involved in making that such a special day. Again I won't try just now to name all the individual who pulled together and organised the smooth coordination of Border Force Quarantine Coast Guard and Southport Yacht Club but hope to do so in coming days but a special thanks to John Brooks of the WSSRC and Nick Halsey of the Ocean Cruising Club.
In conclusion I would like also to thank Siim who so generously hosted the tracker superimposed on Windy Weather that has allowed many people to get a broad picture of my day to day experiences which will now close as I shut down my Iridium Go satellite coms.
A Definite Maybe ETA
21 February 2020
Day 259 6am Saturday 22nd February 2020 (UTC +10 )
With the 12 to 14 knot breeze coming from a little more to the East than South East and and perhaps a solid South going current I found myself with dead following breeze to make the Seaway which is my least favourite way to travel. Accordingly I have gone about and heading North to give a good slant against the expected strong outgoing tidal flow which, if I play my cards right, should get me home at 10am.
21 February 2020 | 59 Miles To Go
Day 258 6pm Friday 21st February 2020 ( UTC +10 )
ETA Ten Tomorrow
The breeze of about 14 knots is just a little too far aft for absolute comfort on a reach with the jib being blanketed by the main every now and then. Even if I have to pole out a jib we should make the ETA with a bit to spare.
ETA Looking Likely
20 February 2020 | 114 Miles East Of Australia
Day 258 6am Friday 21st February 2020
ETA 10am Saturday 22nd February 2020 ( UTC+10 )
With the forecasts indicating light to moderate South East winds for the next few days it should be possible to arrive at the Gold Coast Seaway at 10 O'Clock on Saturday morning. I must say I am very conscious of the possibility of overspeeding and end up making landfall in the darkness where I should'nt so if I'm a little late I have this ready made excuse. In the meantime I am trying to summon up the energy to carry out some much neglected housekeeping. On the lighter side here is pic of a gannet which kept me amused for two full nights and a day. In the morning he would stretch and yawn, spread his wings and do a few laps around the yacht and soon return to his never ending task of preening each and every one of his feathers. He went missing for a few hours later on in the day and the evidence suggests he picked up a snack pack at a Maccas equivalent.
19 February 2020 | 220 Miles East Of Gold Coast Seaway
Day 257 6am Thursday 20th February 2020
ETA 10am Saturday 22nd February 2020 ( Brisbane Time )
Please note that I now intend to cross the finish line which is the transit of the lights on the Eastern ends of the Gold Coast Seaway rock walls at 10am Saturday and then chug up to the quarantine section of the Southport Yacht Club to await Border Force for inbound clearance. The weather forecasts from all sources favours this plan with currently a moderate Northerly which should change to a South Easter this afternoon and then remain steady for the next few days.The motor starts easily and the gears appear to be working so there should be no need of a tow and Border Force require that no personal contact be made until the formalities are complete but thank you Nick for the offer.
19 February 2020 | 262 Miles To Gold Coast Seaway
Day 256 10:30pm Wednesday 19th February 2020 ( UTC+10 )
ETA 10am Saturday 22nd February 2020 ( UTC +10 )
I have been in contact with Border Force and to fit in with their operational requirements I have amended my ETA at the Gold Cost Seaway to 10 O'Clock Saturday morning. After quite a period of light airs the promised breeze has arrived and prospects are good for an on time arrival at the Southport Yacht Club at 10:30am.