Captains-Blog

23 October 2016
03 October 2016
13 September 2016 | Pangaimotu Tonga
08 September 2016 | Pangaimotu
27 August 2016 | Big Mamas Yacht Club Tonga
27 August 2016 | Big Mamas Yacht Club Tonga
21 August 2016 | Big Mamma Yacht Club at Pangaimotu in Nukualofa, Tongatapu, Kingdom of Tonga
06 August 2016 | Marsden Cove Marina
06 August 2016 | Marsden Cove NZ
14 July 2016
11 May 2016 | New House.
27 November 2015 | Southern Pacific Ocean , Berthed Masden Cove Marina Whangeri
25 November 2015 | Southern Pacific Ocean 250 miles to Whangarei
24 November 2015 | Over half way to NZ from Fiji
19 November 2015
08 November 2015
02 November 2015

And we'll never be Royals, Royals, or so the song goes.

03 October 2016 | Paingaimotu Tonga
Russ
After having the privilege of sailing The Queen Mother around the harbour yesterday,here is what we know for sure. Royals are Royal and in this case very Regal. HRM the Queen Mother of Tonga, is a truly wonderful lady of 90 something and could be anyone's grandmother. She is definitely Royal and definitely Regal, of this there can be no doubt. We had her and personal servants and personal military guard and grand children and Big Mama on board for a perfect afternoon sail around the harbour, (and for the sailors) in light winds hitting just under 7 knots under main alone since limiting the healing over was a pretty big priority for me, as one might expect. There could have been better sail shape and speeds but HRM, found her favourite spot leaning on the main sheet winch with the throw pillow Gwen set her up with. Nice and comfy, BUT, not my place to ask her to move so I could trim sail, so I did the best I could and no one noticed except probably the other yachts all watching the goings on, well aware of who was on board. Of the most interest to HRM, was sailing close in past the Royal Palace and her home, twice, so she could see it from the water onboard a yacht. Not a place most would venture close by so a Royal treat for us as well. She was so happy with that part of it she asked Gwen "can I stand on the side deck and you take a picture of me and the Palace". Yes Your Majesty, I think that would be fine. The word was out via the Royal Staff at the Palace that HRM, was to be sailing on a yacht today, so there were many on shore keeping an eye out, and they have really keen eyesight Tongans do, especially HRM. Since we were sailing close in and flying a huge, Tongan flag, (which I insisted we fly out of respect and formality and which was kindly supplied by Big Mamas, pulled off the ceiling and a little worn) and with a very obvious entourage on board, we learned they had indeed spotted us and there was more than a few scrutinizing us from shore. Of course the police boat came checked us out well before the Royal Party came out to A-TRAIN in the launch. We did have pretty sold sponsorship in Earl and Ana, or nothing remotely like this would be happening anyway. The Primary Assistant is one of twin girls and nieces to HRM, who both serve HRM, MaAta, and her personal special forces military guard, Tomale, and the rest were very busy snapping selfies and sending them far and wide. Earl said it would go viral amongst the family and Palace staff and military, many of whom are overseas and photos and stories would be on Facebook everywhere by tonite. What a hoot! As they boarded the launch on the way back from A-TRAIN, HRM threw Gwen a kiss and said to Ana, "I am so happy, what a lovely couple". "How long will they stay, I want to come back over next week". Wow!

Her Royal Majesty, was married to King Tupou, and together they reigned as King and Queen for a very long time, succeeded by her first son, King George V, who died a couple of years ago and now her second son King Tupou VI was coronated last year about this time and resides on the throne today. He, His Royal Majesty, King Topou VI, was here at Paingaimotu using a hooka rig and swimming last week ( we have photos) and we hesitated to barge in on he and Earl as there were so many soldiers, but were told by someone with special authority today, that we should have. Mama told Gwen she could get up close to him and get some photos, a soldier caught her and said "NO PICTURES". You might be surprised, but that didn't stop her, she got the shot! However we will meet him when he comes back over and of course the invite to come our place and do the cowboy thing and drive around in the bush seeing critters which he really wants to do, just got a little reinforcement. Can't get what you want go win over the mother. HRM, asked Gwen, what day is it? Gwen said Saturday, she sighed, "oh, I will have to go home tonite, church tomorrow. " When she was departing with all the loads of stuff her staff brought along, we lined up in our new Uniforms at the end of the farewell line, standing at attention and as she approached to board the launch, she addressed only us and asked " are you two coming with us?" She is so nice. Anyway lots to tell but this is a snippet. Suffice to say it has been a real Royal experience for us with the whole formality thing and soldier guard and actually addressing someone as "Your Majesty" and it actually really mean Your Majesty! Ya, not what we grew up with or are accustomed too but very very cool and I think it will take a little time to for the significance of this experience to set in. Whew.

We are now back from our shoreside debrief with Ana "Big Mama" and Earl, "Pangia" the Queen Mothers Chosen Favourite, where we had a mini Tongan feast. Belch, burrrrp, ahhhh. Yummy! Earlier in the week we arranged to by a pig which the boys roasted, turned by hand to perfection over the fire while we were out sailing so we could treat the family and staff as our way to give a little back to those who have been so nice to us, invited us into the family and afforded this opportunity of a life time. The radar was meant to break, Gwen says.

This week is going to be really tough to top!

Her Royal Majesty, The Queen Mother, of the Kingdom of Tonga sailing on A-TRAIN
Comments
Vessel Name: A-TRAIN
Vessel Make/Model: Sundeer 60
Hailing Port: Vancouver Canada
Crew: Gwen and Russ Hobbs
About: currently, Aug 2016 ready to depart NZ for warm waters North
A-TRAIN's Photos - Main
229 Photos
Created 3 July 2015
50 Photos
Created 29 November 2014
9 Photos
Created 29 November 2014
2 Photos
Created 29 November 2014
18 Photos
Created 29 November 2014
30 Photos
Created 29 November 2014
6 Photos
Created 15 August 2014
12 Photos
Created 10 August 2014
19 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
5 Photos
Created 14 July 2014
34 Photos
Created 29 June 2014
8 Photos
Created 29 June 2014
21 Photos
Created 29 June 2014
12 Photos
Created 4 June 2014
5 Photos
Created 30 March 2014
One of the nicest Islands in the Sea of Cortez on the Baja side. We flew over it and got a photo from the air, Cool!
20 Photos
Created 6 March 2014
Punta Chivato, a shell collectors dream come true, most people just stand there shaking their head and wondering how it could be possible that so many shells could be in one location. WOW! Gwen collected a few but it was better to just look and leave them there.
13 Photos
Created 6 March 2014
Cabo, Bahia Los Frailies, Los Muertos, La Paz, and North to San Gabriel, San Juanico, Puerto Escondido and across the Sea to Guyamas and San Carlos
20 Photos
Created 6 March 2014
misc photos of getting ready to shove off, various stops along the way and rounding up into Cabo San Lucas
20 Photos
Created 6 March 2014
Misc photos to catch up Blog
59 Photos
Created 5 August 2013