Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Think I found the cause of the engine overheat

That is definitely not a three blade 14 x 8 prop, which is recommended for the Beta 25 diesel marine engine. It would seem the previous owner slapped in a new engine but failed to address most of the other essential elements of that job, including using his old shaft which was slightly bent from years of use, a coupling that was probably from the old engine and had to be rebuilt, and worse of all, it appears he kept his old prop on, which was significantly over pitched for this application, causing the engine to overheat the more load that was put on it. I've now had to replace all of those deficiencies. Such a half ass repower is negligent and reckless. New prop is ordered from US vendor. We went through the process of considering a rebuild of another prop at the Kelly store in Mazatlan, but they were talking about using different pitches and widths to achieve the same result and we just decided to buy a brand new one to the engine manufacturers specifications. It has to be special ordered and made and is likely to take two months or more to deliver. If it works, will have an engine that has only 150 hours on it and that runs the full range of its power band without overheating. And then it will be ready to take across the sea. It may be worth noting at this point that had I known all of the refit that was required for Oz I would likely have passed on the deal. I think that would've been a pity, however, because this cascade 36 is coming along pretty darn well and when I am done it will be better than new. Had we passed on Oz, I would possibly have gotten a boat that is bigger or roomier or more luxurious or with a built-in water heater and shower, but Oz is not that sort of sailboat at all. This boat was designed and built to take to sea in relative safety and to travel long distances successfully and in relative comfort. It remains to be seen whether I will do any of that to any real extent, but what they say about it taking sometimes years to ready a sailboat for long distance travel is not a myth but is in fact still playing out throughout the world and on this website and I am just one small example. Peace and blessings.

Comments