Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Trig Is Reborn

I finally met the new owners of Trig, the first Cascade 36 out of the mold. It's original owner, Mike, a really nice and knowledgeable man, passed away and the new owners are getting ready to cruise Trig again for a few months across the Baja. This is their second season on their Cascade 36 in the Sea of Cortez. Mike took it to New Zealand and Alaska and other far away places. Got some interesting ideas from them, as well as from the nice old couple in the sailboat across the dock. Trig has a Beta 20 that was under propped, but Manuel was able to adjust the pitch of their prop and get them just about to hull speed. In this photo they are testing their stack pack, a popular addition to lazy jacks these days, and we see them lowering an original Cascade mainsail which is in pretty good condition. I just had my sail cover modified to fit the lazy jacks we installed last year, so I'll hold off on the stack pack until I get too old to manage the sail with lazy jacks alone. I've thought about putting a water heater in where the cold plate mechanics were, but I don't think I need it and there are adequate options such that I've yet to feel like I'm missing a shower onboard. Don't hold me to that. I'm probably going to improve the sound system and make the interior more comfortable and nice first. Regardless, it's nice to think about possibilities and it's a pleasure to have the historic first edition of your sailboat across the way. Trig could be anywhere in the world. Ours was one of the later versions produced. 109 out of less than 160 made. Now that I think about it more, our hull was laid in 1976 (45 years ago, believe it or not, which is why there is so much dust in the crannies), but the rest of the sailboat was factory built in 1986 and extensively refit since then, so I suspect we were pretty close to the end of the production line in terms of actual factory construction date. That's why so much of Oz is just right and dialed in, I think. They were pretty far along in the process of creating great blue water cruising boats when they built this one from the decade old hull that was probably built stronger and pursuant to Cascade original fiberglass construction specs than possibly anything in fiberglass built since. It sure feels strong.

Comments