Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Winter early morning light from dock 18, Marina Real, Sonora

Comfortable night in the forepeak. Fitfull sleep, but slept/rested from like 930 pm to 630 am. I wish I could sleep like when I was young. I think I've been sleep deprived, among other things, for a long time without appreciating the cumulative negative effect. Good sleep is a priority from now on. It was chilly when I got to bed last night and the little space heater on shore power kept the sailboat a few degrees below 70 all night long and into the morning. Designed and built in the Northwest US, it was constructed with a layer of what was then rather high tech insulation with a foam core inside two layers of thin laminate like we now see on designer balloons. Keeps the heat in during the winter and the cool AC in during the summer. Enjoyed the hotel, but staying on the sailboat is preferred. Slowly but surely getting this old boat in safe and comfortable condition to head out on farther voyages and as well to utilize as a remote law office. The office space I looked at in the Marina San Carlos building is going for like 125k to 150k. Only being here part of the month, it just doesn’t make economic sense. At this point I'm pretty much waiting on the new prop to arrive, hoping and expecting it will resolve the engine overheat issues at load. They said six weeks to delivery, but with covid, I wouldn't be surprised if it took several months. No matter, the old prop is reinstalled and it works safely up to half load, which is enough to get out on the water for anything relatively local. I still have one more haul out to do when the prop comes. That should bring us basically to the end of this refit, though it is never really the end, just the end of the current refit. The crazy thing is Cascade 36 is only worth around what we paid for it in the run-down condition it was received almost four years ago. We just couldn't afford a nicer or larger sailboat and had to try and improve it over time. That's why, in my opinion, you don't see many Cascades on the market and most are selling for about what we paid for this one. I suspect they are people a lot like me, people whose sailboat means a lot to them, if not to the general market of sailboat buyers. These sailboats mean a lot to the people who sail them so they keep them, knowing the market will never see the value that the owner sees. You have to be into classic sailboat design and know that all the time and effort and setbacks are personal struggles that nobody else much cares about at all, outside of Manuel and his crew; and this is just their job, not their passion, artistic expression, or unique form of self actualization. For those of us who pursue this peculiar path, we understand and appreciate. My passion for this hobby, like many of my fellow cruisers and sailors, has mostly been an individual pursuit. How something so frustrating and challenging and that takes so long and so much work and logistics and patience and understanding, can be so satisfying. If know you know. The sailing and cruising community is relatively small compared to easier hobbies and pursuits, but it is known to include people in many ways a lot like me. Maybe that's partially why I like to stay on the boat even at dock. My neighbors are my friends too because we share this common passion and interest and we are actually doing and experiencing it, as compared to the hundreds of boats in dry storage, what I call the field of abandoned dreams.

Comments