Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

New prop in action

This picture shows sunrise over the Tetas as I took a walk at sunrise to check the water. It was a very low tide and I decided to wait until it rose later in the day. We finally got out on the water with the new prop about 530 pm before sunset. Manuel, Carlos, and me. 20 knots apparent wind gusting to 25 according to the wind instrument. Into that it was clear we are not, shall we say, overpowered. The new and then modified prop is about as dialed in as possible. Less bite than the old prop, less speed.too, but no overheat alarm and hopefully less wear on engine, drive train, and transmission. I think I'm going to have to accept I have a 25 hp Beta diesel. I get only so much reIiable power and so much reliable speed. It's not as much speed as originally seen with the overpitched prop, but not as little as the underpiched replacement prop I bought. This 25 hp Kubota engine can be expected to offer about 6.5 to 7 knots at full power in calm water and like 5 to 5.5 knots in heavier seas at 3200 max cuising speed (3500 is max rpm with this prop). Roughly half power 2000 rpm (that's using 10 hp) offers 4.5 max and about 4 nautical miles per hour in seas. Good for overnight and long distance voyaging. For my current taste, this Cascade 36 sailboat with this Beta 25 deisal engine is underpowered for the Sea of Cortez. That being said, for supplemental or auxiliary power when sails are not adequate, and for purists, Beta 25 for the 13,000 pound Cascade 36 sailboats is more than adequate. Cascade 36's for non purists should have 30 hp minimum or up to 50 hp engine if it fits for serious voyaging. However, sailing involves balance and trade offs. An engine twice as powerful would be heavier and use more gas and the extent of the power would only very rarely be useful. Standard mass produced 25 hp diesel is what I have, and at the very least it offers excellent compromise between mileage and power. There was this movie Maidenvoyage I think, where this young girl sailed the world and her sailboat was fitted with a supplemental diesel engine for motorsailing. Purists wouldn't use an engine at all, so what I've got is a perfect compromise. Would I want to plow north back to San Diego at four knots, not particularly. With less than 160 hours on it, however, it's still practically brand new. Jerry charted the Sea of Cortez with a 5 hp outboard. There are two other Cascade 36's docked near me and the other Cascades get about the same speed as I'm experiencing, so I will accept what I have and cruise with it.

Comments