Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Back at home...

Except... home seems to be where I am anymore rather than specific place. The photo above shows the early morning light off the sailboat yesterday morning. That was home for the last few days and for the 66 trips to OZ so far. It has been a faithful home away from home. But this, B1, is my home most of the time, and I'm so grateful to have kept it all these years. By all rights this house should be long gone from my life by now. That's what would have happened if I would have kept on going south in Tropical Dreamer. I definitely wouldn't be having coffee on this chilly summer morning back in Tucson while preparing for the first week of summer break with the kids. Many lives have been forever changed since then. What magical force is behind it and why me? Last night after I returned from Mexico I got to enjoy a little happy hour and then a light dinner made by my mother at her house, not a far drive from my house. Something I took for granted all my life but which I now savor and appreciate. Dinner at mom's. What will happen when this chapter is over. I've been imagining it but cannot get too far. This place has always been my base, my home town. I know home is where the heart is, where one's loved ones are, but Tucson has always been the safest, most secure refuge of all, at least in my mind. I'm beginning to realize there will eventually be no more safe refuges except those I create for myself and for my family and others, both physical and, more importantly, mentally. How many multitudes have left what they once thought was their place of refuge, only to find a whole new and simetimes better life. We cannot know, thankfully, what the future holds. That's the ultimate adventure, groupies.


Comments