Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

The son returns

Woke up to a bright sunny sky after a segmented sleep and am now enjoying coffee on deck in my Jammie's before doing the settlement and creative work that comes our way today for as long as we have something to be productive about. It is nothing compared to the trial work I used to do, but one's intrinsic value is not ultimately based on whether I can do trials. Enjoyed happy hour and dinner last night at Lou and Ingrid's ranchita in Loma Del Mar. They have the original Cascade 36, Trig, that lives across the fairway from me, but stay on land during the months they winter here after living on their boat for a couple seasons. They are upgrading to a bigger and nice place in that neighborhood a few doors down and offered to sell me their place for what amounts to less than a modest car. They have a system there where the improvements come with the initial price and then the property is leased for renewable long blocks of time up to decades. A lot of amenities come with the lease, which is not too expensive as this community is for regular retiree folks, not rich people. The idea is tempting as their place is so cute and unusual and the community is also lovely, active, and very secure. With improvements, it would allow me to bring more of my family here without renting hotels, or bring the kids and their friends or the friend's family with enough room for everyone to spread out. Maybe a retirement home some day. Currently I don't come enough to justify it and I mostly come alone. A few days every few weeks, sometimes less. But in the future that could change to more time here as I work remotely and can do family law settlement work, as little as it is, remotely. A lot of people seem to fall into this path here, first a boat and then something inland. I didn't get it when I was younger, but now I do. But I also never stayed at dock when I was younger, and not I mostly only stay at dock, so clearly I'm not immune, but rather just the latest. Maybe head down there again today and take a closer look around. First a healthy walk to the sea and back.

Comments