Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Our 8 year old kid built this in two half days

Over 1300 pieces and designed for ages 18 and older, constructed from detailed instructions while serial watching technology and science shows on TV. Is that too much TV, or too much Legos. My Lego memories involve building little block houses with like 100 similar pieces. The boy built a mechanically working engine and showed me the cylinders going up and down, along with other similarly complex automotive mechanical systems constructed out of Lego. The shows I watched at that age included Flinstones, Gilligan's Island, and Scooby Doo, among other classics. They watch shows narrated by a myriad of exotic foreign accents on subjects ranging from tear downs of new electronics, deep dives into fashion, design, marketing, travel, foods, innovative products, new forms of guided play, real-life families with all sorts of kids who post videos about their actual experiences, online games with other kids, FaceTime and electronic messaging with peers, music, and a hundred other forms of knowledge, perspective, and experience only possible for a kid to achieve second hand through a video device connected to the internet. It has become impossible and unreasonable to apply the same standards we used to define play and learning as were used in the 70's and 80's. What would have appeared to my parents as merely leisure and folly, is now learning and growing in innumerable new ways applicable to the modern world. That being said, we are heading to Skate Country this morning for the Saturday morning session to meet some friends. Good thing at least some childhood experiences don't change much with time.

Comments