Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Anne On The Guides

We arrived at Calabash creek anchorage around 2:30 p.m., which is a really hot part of the day at this place at this time. You may have gathered that from all the winging I've been doing about the heat lately. First item of business after anchoring was putting up the sun awning, which makes a huge difference in the temperature of the cockpit and makes the whole deck into a shaded area. Now that we're at South Carolina, my awesome collection of charts is broken. The ICW Chartbook is still good through the Keys. It's really all I need. The North Carolina Guide and waterproof map set is of no use to me anymore for now and gets stored tomorrow. The author of that book wrote a South Carolina/Georgia guide which I will buy when I come across it, but it has a lot of information I don't really need. Still, it is fun to know more about where we're cruising and you never know. I already may need to stop into a marina for a thing or two depending on whether I can take care of them myself without sinking the boat. Skipper Bob's book about anchorages on the ICW has been very useful. Simple, to the point, just enough extra information for what is needed. It won't be my last volume purchased from his family (the Skipper himself passed on I understand). Anyway, the dogs have picked up on the value which I hold the charts and guidebooks. Indeed, they are what keep me on track for the hundreds and hundres of miles I've cruised so far in the last few years. Since the chartbooks are important, the dogs like to lay on them. I guess doing so makes the dog important too. I can't tell you how many times I've had to fish out a particular guidebook from underneath the belly of a dog, usually Jake. This time, it was Anne. No matter, I won't be needing some of them after today. The pamphlet on top is the periodic publication of the Seven Seas Cruising Association, which is an organization for people who live on sailboats and cruise in them throughout the world. I can just about make it down the ICW with my dogs without hurting myself or others. The China Sea... well lets first make it to Charlston.

Comments