Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Heading Through South Carolina

South Carolina bridges have a warning not previously evident to me. Puts a whole new twist on the concept of no turning back. I'm anchored tonight off Buckskin Marina about 30 miles into SC. It is dark here tonight with only a sliver of moon. It is also hot, muggy, buggy, and swampy. I've got the little fan going full tilt clipped onto the table where I'm writing. It helps. The dogs are hanging out on deck. I've been trying to rehydrate for the last 1/2 hour. I'm, 4/6ths through my ice supply for the day and I'm on my third diet soda (I watch my sugar intake, thus the "diet"), having gone through all the cold water in the fridge. I almost passed by this anchorage because it was so hot when I arrived at around 4:00 p.m. I figured I would just press on and at least have the breeze the comes from moving, but another 10 miles after the 35 already traveled just seemed too much. This place is actually cozy in a sticky southern swampy sort of way. After the sun went down we dingied to the marina, which was pretty much empty. I checked out the bathroom/shower house and it was unlocked and air conditioned. It felt so good in there I actually hung out inside with the dogs for several minutes just enjoying the AC. This is the muggiest place we've been yet. I applied 100% deet bug spray when the first skeeter hit through my shirt and have been reapplying as needed. Fortunately I have a large supply of deet. There is a small live aboard community here, if you can call it that. It is more like subsistance boating. I met some of the local characters since I am the main attraction this week. They confirmed that there is absolutely nothing to do here. The marina hasn't had a paying customer in weeks. No work for anyone. No commerce in the area. I asked how they get food and supplies and got blank looks. I was treated to a dim flashlight exibition of the little gater that plies the shore of the marina. I am informed that water snakes also inhabit these waters. This didn't stop Jake from attempting to play in the water in the pitch dark. He could not understand why I was so insistent he stay on dry land. If there is a demarkation between north and south on this trip, I think it lies here at this anchorage. Tropical Dreamer is the nicent accomodation around tonight so I suppose I'll just enjoy it. Should be a bit more comforable in bed since I replaced my Ralph Loren comforter in the forward cabin with a single cotton sheet.

Comments