Lemons Way

Continuing adventures, observations, and images.

Peck Lake Landing (Please Don't Tell The Authorities)

It got down to 60 degrees last night. I almost had to put on a second blanket. When I awoke the sun was up and there was dew all over the outside of the boat. I turned on National Public Radio to hear about President Obama's victory. We are definitely turning a new leaf and I look forward to what the change will bring to the US and the world. There are a lot more boats traversing the waterway than when I departed four months ago. Lots more sailboats especially. Many are probably headed for the Bahamas or the Keys or Dry Tortugas or points further south. I don't envy them. I've had my cruise for now and I'm quite content about what I've done and experienced. My mom asked me why I'm not taking the boat back up to Oriental, where the motorhome is located. I explained that I didn't want to motor all the way back up there some 750-800 miles (three weeks of cruising hard every day at least) and that it was going to get colder and colder and that would become very uncomfortable. The north winds in central Florida are chilly enough to put on a long sleeved shirt or two during the day. But I think the main reason is that I want to keep it in southern, Florida. That way it's only a day or two of ICW cruising to the easiest departure point to the northern, Bahamas and a cruise down to the Keys or points further south is readily available. This boat is really perfect for Bahamas cruising, with its relatively shallow draft and combination of nimbleness and toughness. It's also relatively cheap and easy to maintain. Time will tell, but Tropical Dreamer is not going back north just yet, if ever.

Comments