Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

We are stuck in Velcro

27 March 2010 | Vero Beach, Florida
John and Cheryl
Cheryl's Notes:

We made it to Vero Beach on Wednesday and grabbed a mooring ball. It looks like we will spend a few days here regrouping. We did our laundry this morning. We need to change oil in the engine and we dispose of it here. We are restricted on moving forward by construction on the Lions Bridge in St. Augustine. This week and next it is closed on weekdays and only open on the weekend. We knew that we were not ready to speed ahead to make this weekends opening, so we are going to take our time and head up for the opening next weekend. We are also going to try to decide if we want to be in the Titusville area for the shuttle launch. As of right now, it is scheduled for April 5. We have hear that watching it from the water is really exciting.

We are starting to run into all of our cruising friends moving north. We had a great happy hour gathering tonight and met a lot of old friends and made some new ones. This is really the greatest community of people that you will ever meet.

John's Notes:

I need to do an oil change but just can't seem to get it done. Have to do it in the next couple of days. I'm a few hours overdue.

The older I get, the smaller the world seems to get. Tonight, I met two new people. Both of them worked on Polaris submarines when I did. One of them, a ex-Navy officer, even worked at Mare Island and Rota, Spain at the same time I was there. Another guy was a crewman on one of the boats that I worked aboard. There are just two of the six people that I have met on this trip that have that experience in common with me. Strange.

I would really like to see the Shuttle launch. The problem is that if we wait to see it and then there is a weather delay, we will have to wait even longer. We know all about waiting for weather this winter.

As we were going to shore tonight I got a glimpse of our next boat. Well, maybe. It was a newer Monk 36. Maybe if I circle the guys boat in the dingy the next couple of days we will get invited aboard to check it out.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI