Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

Riding the short dock

23 April 2011 | Great Bridge Lock
John and Cheryl
Cheryl's Notes:

We are always amazed how small the cruising family is. This morning before leaving Coinjock, we were talking with a couple from Annapolis. Jane and Glenn are sailing on Windquest. We mentioned our new friends Kenny and Tana on Jasmine are from Annapolis. It turns out that Jane grew up with Kenny. When we left New Bern, Kenny and Tana were outfitting their boat for a cruise to the south pacific via the Panama Canal. We left the keys for "Julio" our Jeep with them so that they have a vehicle to finish all of their provisioning. Small, small world.

Our day today was spent cleaning up a slight spill, and then heading up the rest of the Virginia Cut. We sailed across Currituck Sound and then wound our way through the Chesapeake canal. We had to deal with a few bridges, and are docked right between the Great Bridge and the Great Bridge lock. Glen and Jane saved a spot for us, but there is really not much dock involved. See the above photo. Tomorrow we will be heading up to Norfolk. This time we have decided to stop and anchor for a few days. John wants to tour the USS Wisconsin. (Go Badgers!)

John's Notes:

These is day four and for the first time, knock on wood, we haven't had a problem. Day One we had a Raymarine GPS/Radar failure. Screen just went blank. Re-powering didn't seem to do any good. A couple of hours later, I tried again and wiggled the fuse. Been working fine since. Day Two we had an electrical problem that turned out to be nothing but a slipping alternator belt. Fixed that. Day Three turned up a fuel leak. That didn't solve itself until the wee hours of the morning when I was laying in bed trying to come up with a game plan to find the problem in the morning. Suddenly, it dawned on me that after we returned from the Bahamas, I replaced the fuel gage sending unit. As it turned out, until yesterday, I had never actually totally filled the tank until we got to Coinjock. There are five screws on the top of the diesel tank that hold the sending unit in place. Unfortunately, a couple of them were loose. I'm keeping everything I have crossed till the end of the day. Legs, fingers, arms, toes, whatever it takes.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI