Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

What's that mooing?

18 June 2011 | St. Leonards Creek, MD
John and Cheryl
Cheryl's Notes:

We tried everything that we could think of to dry out John's phone last Monday. We even packed it in rice overnight. We were able to get the phone to boot up, but it couldn't receive calls. John was able to scroll through and write down all of his contacts. Good thing. We took a bus on Tuesday out to the Verizon store and got a new phone, but the contacts were fried and they couldn't port over his contact file. He has been slowly putting all of the numbers back in by hand.

We decided to move a little north up the Patuxent River to St. Leonard's Creek. Our friends John and Jeri told us that it was beautiful up here. Boy, were they right. I am not sure that they ever mentioned that we would see cows on the shoreline. Yup, we woke up the first morning and heard mooing on shore. The cows are walking in the water right near our boat. Makes for some interesting stories and pictures. We see things that most people never see in their backyards.

We spent a quiet weekend here. We visited Vera's Beach Club which is just around the bend. It is kind of expensive for what you get. Our friends Wes and Deann on Liberty have joined us for a few days. They are cruising around until late June and then are going back to Ely for the month of July. Deann's family owns an island up there and they will be spending some time with their granddaughters. Ely in July sounds wonderful to me.

John's Notes:

I hate Verizon and probably all the other cell providers too. Sure, I know that I need a new phone. That was not there problem. What I hate is the fact that they sell you a new phone with a mail in rebate. Hoping, of course that we will never send it in. Last time, when Cheryl's phone failed offshore and we had to get a new one, it took us over six months and a couple of phone calls to collect our rebate. Now of top of that, I had to extend my contract for 2 years in order to even get a deal on the phone (a simple one at that). I have been with Verizon for at least 15 years and have never gotten anything free from them. My current contract doesn't expire till September. Because I am renewing early, they charge me $20.00 for the privilege of guaranteeing them my business for the next 2 years. Talk about slapping your customers in the face. I can't even describe how furious I am at this. Enough, Cheryl doesn't like me to rant about what is wrong with this country.

What a beautiful spot we are anchored in. Cows included. Sort of like the bank card commercial, "What's in your backyard today?" This is just a perfect setting. Seems like every time we anchor I have a new favorite spot. It would take years to discover them all.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI