Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

Beautiful anchorage

10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
John and Cheryl
Cheryl's Notes:

We had another absolutely perfect day today. Perfect, except for the fact that we didn't have enough wind to sail. The water was calm, and the winds light. We motored past the Au Sable sand dunes and the picture rocks leading into Munising. We stayed in the marina last time through, but this time we choose to anchor in Murray Bay, at the south end of Grand Island. What a beautiful spot. Depths of 100 feet in the middle of the bay and then drops off quickly near shore. We are anchored in 14 feet. We dropped the hook early enough to get in some sun on the foredeck, and a couple of games of cribbage before dinner. The light winds tonight will rock us to sleep.

Have we mentioned how much we missed Lake Superior weather? We cruise in tee shirts during the day and have added an extra blanket for sleeping at night. It is supposed to go down to 59 tonight.

John's Notes:

Yea, well, we may be cruising in t-shirts but we also have several panels of our cockpit enclosure deployed. The Bahamas this is not as far as weather goes.

The weather has been great so far. I would like to make it back to Bayfield without encountering any fog. The radar is still not working.

We are traveling like we were in a trawler but without all the creature comforts. We have everything we need though, but trips like this really make you step back and consider the benefits of a trawler. I'll have to consider and ponder this winter. If we do make the move, we know exactly what we want and where to find it. That, of course, would mean another trip to the east coast and return by boat. Not an all together bad thought.

This time last year we were in the Chesapeake sweltering in 100+ degree heat. Not the case here. So far we have encountered some really great anchorages. On our outward bound trip we were sequestered in marinas almost every night. I think we have learned a thing or two in the last four years. Miss the dolphins circling the boat in the morning though.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI