Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

Goodbye Lake Huron

02 August 2008 | Port Huron, Michigan
John and Cheryl
Cheryl's Notes:

We spent Friday night in Port Sanilac. It was the first time that we entered a marina that was almost at capacity. It turns out that there was a big fishing derby going on in Lexington. All of the overflow boats were directed to Port Sanilac. The town itself was a ghost town, but we were able to share stories and compare destinations with all of the other boaters. The boating community is one of the friendliest that you will ever meet.

We left Port Sanilac this morning with Port Huron as a destination. This would be our first real challenge docking in a very populated area. We had a tail wind the whole way, again. We were able to watch some or our fellow Catalina owners racing right outside the Port Huron Bridge. As we watched the racing, we noticed a big Laker heading down bound behind us. We moved out of the shipping lane to let him pass, just as a tall ship was coming up bound out of the river. I took some pictures of the two ships passing. It is interesting to notice the difference in their size.

We are now docked at the River Street Municipal Dock in Port Huron. There are more boats in this river way than in the whole of Bayfield. We are right across from some beautiful condos. We have decided to head uptown for dinner. It isn't very often that we find ourselves in such a populated place. The galley wench would like a night off, and Tom says he wants a good steak. There is also a Blues Festival going on at a river front park. Maybe we can catch a few tunes.

While our ride today was a little bumpy, the Lido deck was used by one and all. Tom was talking about buying a kiddie pool and adding it to the foredeck, but we talked him out of it.


John's Notes:

No brainer 3/5ths Oil Change

Finally left Lake Huron but not without just a little drama. Decided before we left Port Sanilac this morning that it would be a perfect time to do an oil change. Just before we left Bayfield, I finally got my oil changer back from Andy from Champaign on Ice. He had borrowed it 8 years ago. I went to the ship store and got 6 quarts of oil (I already had filters). I mean, how difficult can this be. I've never done a mid-season oil change before. How many can you need when you only average 35 engine hours a year.

This is going to be a no brainer operation. Warm up the engine, stick the pump nozzle from the changer down the dip stick hold, pump into a container, change the filter, fill with oil, check to make sure that the filter doesn't leak, check the oil level, replace the engine cowling. How difficult can this be. Oil changing for dummies, right?

Ok, first, we didn't have a container large enough for the 5 quarts of oil I'm going to drain from the engine. Tommy goes and buys a bucket. Perfect. Well, almost. I put the hose in the dip stick hole and start to pump. Nothing. Fool with that for a couple of minutes and then it begins to pump into the bucket and all over the galley floor with some spots left over for my new LL Bean shorts. I'll deal with that later. I get a few squirts into the bottom of the bucket and it stops. Open the manual for the Universal engine and I discover that my engine is equipped with the new improved oil drain hose installed. Perfect. Well, almost. I stick the pump nozzle down the drain hose and pump out more oil but it is obvious that we do not have 5 quarts in the newly acquired bucket. The engine is oriented such that the oil collects at the lower end of the oil pan. The hose from the pump is not long enough to pump all the oil out of the pan. Decision time. We have about 3 quarts in the bucket and a new filter at the ready. Decision time. We decide to replace the oil filter and refill with oil. Oops. Forgot. Since I never change oil I don't have a spanner wrench. Off to the hardware store goes Tom. He is soon back and we proceed. Changing the filter is definitely a no brainer. The fact that it didn't leak when we started the engine is proof enough for me. Well, now we add 3 quarts of oil to replace what we think we drained out. Checked the oil level. Perfect. We now have a 3/5ths oil change. I also remember why I have the marina change oil. Some of this self sufficiency stuff sucks.


So what have I learned today? Next chance I get, purchase a oil change kit that is ac operated. Tom tells me that they work fine. He has one but has never actually used it but his boys have. I'll take his word for it. What's another $129.00 when you are a fixed income cruiser?

We are currently tied off in a marina just of the St. Clair River. I've never seen so many boats and so much boat traffic since the last time I was in Marina Del Ray. Your nerves get really wired navigating the river.

Oh, another thing I learned today. The really rich in Bayfield would be hard pressed to pack the lunch of the average Joe here. They must all be rich auto industry people. I walked by a huge motor yacht that must have had $20K worth of electronics hanging from his radar arch. Even the smaller boats are worth more than I made in my lifetime.

Saw a local fleet of Catalina 30's racing just outside the river entrance. I quit counting after 20 boats. They were "smoking" for sure.

Tom wants everyone to know that he aired his dirty laundry today. Didn't wash it, just aired it out. Took the bag all the way down the dock to the laundry, except they don't have one here. Maybe next week. Maybe he will shave at the same time.



Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI