Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

Locking down

14 August 2008 | Clyde, New York
John and Cheryl
Cheryl's Notes:

We had a late start yesterday, I will let John explain. Our hope is that we have fixed the problem for good this time. We have been forced to learn a new skill everyday.

We made it as far as Greece, NY yesterday. We tied up to a seawall in a local park. No amenities other than a satellite bathroom and trash cans. We are pretty self-contained, so we get by just fine. Any energy that we use overnight is replenished when we start the engine the next morning. Our alternator, when it is working correctly, recharges the batteries in a short time. The biggest loss is a nice hot shower. We have a shower on board in the head, but it is a handheld device. We have plenty of hot water, as the engine heats the water while we are under way, but we have only limited water in our holding tanks. We can refill the tanks, but the docking facility must have a water supply. Also, the head is small. Picture taking a shower in a two foot by two foot space. There is not a lot of room. I have learned to wash up in about a quart of water. It is okay, if you don't get too close.

We got up early this morning with the thought of making up some lost time. We went through eight locks today. I have decided that you do not have to dress like a scrub for this job, as long as you are careful. And what, you ask, does the stylish cruising woman wear for locking down? Today I had on a skirt and tank top that went very nicely with my rubberized orange gloves. I must be neater than Tom, as his t-shirt was all dirty by the end of the day. We landed tonight in Clyde, NY and right in the middle of another small town festival. The one block town had no sit down restaurants, but we did find a queen coronation, a farmers market, an antique car show (thought of Bob G. on this one) and a small carnival set up in a parking lot. We can hear the screams of the kids on the Tilt-a-Whirl from our boat at the dock.

We have been a little disappointed in the dockage so far. We were led to believe that every little town has a beautiful dockside park where all of the locals would join us for BBQ's and stories. So far no one has shown up to talk with us, except some dockside fishermen. Our only excitement happened at 2:00 am this morning. John got up to use the bathroom and we noticed that someone was shining a flashlight into all of the boat's hatches. It was a local policeman patrolling the park. He noticed a car in the parking lot with nobody in it. He was afraid that someone might by trying to rob us. I didn't get much sleep after that one. There are also railroad tracks that follow most of the canal. It is 9:00 pm and twelve trains have come through here since dinner time. We have been told that the eastern end of the canal has some better town parks.

John's Notes:

Day before yesterday, we realized that our electrical problem was back. The first clue is when the tachometer either doesn't operate at all or acts erratic. From previous experience, I know that it has to be the one connector coming off the alternator. Checked the solder connection that I had previously made. Perfect. Then found a 25 amp fuse that was blown. Must be the problem. Too late to do anything about it. Don't have a 25 amp fuse. Just about every other one but not a 25 amp. As it happens, there was a Napa Auto Parts store not 30' from where the boat was docked. Perfect. Got the fuse, replaced it. Nothing. Now I'm really bugged. What could be the problem? Tom and I look at it for about an hour. Looking is always a good start. Nothing much happens but it LOOKS like we are working on it. Then we remember that the Napa store has an in-house alternator repair shop. Did I mention that the owner told me on one of my previous stops that cruisers always seem to have alternator problems in Medina. Perfect. I'm in the right place if I have to have the alternator repaired or replaced. We decide to ask if they can have their technician step out the back door and have a look. After all, we are in the perfect place for this kind of problem. He asks what kind of alternator we have and I tell him a Balmar. Perfect, he has never heard of it. Anyway, he comes to the boat and checks a couple of things and tells me that we have a bad contact in the molded fuse holder (the one with the 25 amp fuse that was just replaced) that is part of the repair that I have been making for the past two weeks. Perfect. Now all I have to do is get a new fuses holder, solder the wires together and we are off. Actually, that is what happened, albeit almost three hours later than our planned start. Perfect. I have effected four repairs within an 8" span of 12 gage wire. At least everything is currently running PERFECT!

Yesterday was kind of a non event day. We just cruised down the canal. Did pass through several lift bridges which share a common operator. You call him on the radio, he opens one bridge, closes it, gets in his car or on his bike, goes to the next bridge and does the same thing all over again. Now we are in our third day on the canal and have only actually seen less than 35 boats that were actually moving on the canal. I can just imagine what a cluster $%@* this process would be on a busy weekend.

We are getting to be experts at backing up. Not something you usually do but are forced into it as you approach bridges and locks that don't open when expected. Leprechaun has an auto prop which helps. You have to be careful not to oversteer though.

Today was another day of not much. We left early this morning in an attempt to make up some of the time that we have lost for various reasons. Made almost 60 miles today. I have to say, for all the hype we heard about the Erie Canal, I'm somewhat disappointed. There have been a couple of kewl places but we aren't into stopping in every little town with a gift shop or a museum. We were really disappointed with the places that the canal crossed over a river and a road. I was thinking about a real river and a freeway. Turns out it was more like a creek and a farm to market road. Maybe there are more opportunities that we have yet to come upon.

Before this trip is over, Tom is going to have get a new battery for his phone. I think they can only be really charged so many times. He has either made or received more calls in the last 4 weeks than I have in the last year. Hope he has an unlimited plan.

Note to self. Really getting into this trawler mode. Lets see, single screw with bow thruster, get home generator, 38-40'. That should do it.

Note to #1 grand daughter...................if you want to go cruising with Grandpa you know what you have to do..........................get hopping girl.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI