Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

Long Day

15 August 2008 | Brewerton, New York
John and Cheryl
Cheryl's Notes:

We got an early start again today. The trains kept us awake most of the night anyway. We have decided that we should switch berths with Tom. He has told us that his berth is virtually soundproof. Maybe it is because he takes his hearing aid out at night. We have picked another great spot for the evening. We are tied up in Brewerton, New York and can hear the race track from our boat.

We put in about 60 miles again today. We are sitting at the entrance to Lake Oneida. This will be a challenge to cross. We have been told that the lake can get very lumpy. We have already proved that the boat can take 10-12 foot waves, but that was with the mast in place. The mast is now resting in a set of cradles over the deck. We don't need the wave action to cause the mast to slide out of the supports. It is about a 20 mile crossing and we should be able to do it in just under four hours.

We have noticed that there is a real lack of zoning in the canal system. We have seen $1M homes on one side of the canal and broken down shacks on the other. Today we witnessed the New York version of Eurasian Milfoil. Water chestnut plants cover miles of the canal. It was so thick that it looked like you could walk across the canal on top of it. We also saw spider webs in the trees that were the size of large wasp nests. Are these spiders big enough to trap small birds or bats? There are some parts of the canal that are slightly reminiscent of scenes from the movie Deliverance.

John's Notes:

Nothing is broke or malfunctioning. Perfect. Just another boring day cruising. This is the kind of cruising I like.

I feel sorry for Tommy. Not sure this is turning out to be the kind of cruise he signed on for. I think he would like to stop every couple of hours and explore and meet new people. I know it bugs him when we start early and keep on going until late afternoon. He is ready to stop around 2:00pm. We want to keep going to make up for the time that we have lost. If I were ever to do this trip again, there are a couple of places that I might have spent a day or at least part of one. Not many though. Our best times are still anchored out with a good book and a bottle of wine, and each other.

Note to everyone. We have been putting pictures in a photo gallery, but Cheryl thinks that nobody could view it until today. We activated the feature and it should now be accessible.

Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI