Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

The Erie Canal is now behind us

19 August 2008 | Troy, New York
John and Cheryl
Cheryl's Notes:

After a long day and 10 locks, five in a matter of two miles, we are finally at the end of the Erie Canal. Some observations:
Locking down is a lot easier than locking up. When locking down, the water flow pushes you away from the wall. When locking up, it sucks you up against the wall and you are straining to keep the boat off the of slimy walls.
The locks in the east end of the canal are a lot cleaner than the west end.
50% of the lock operators will not respond when you call them. They will just open the doors when they are ready. They have told us that they get paid by the hour not by the number of boats that pass through.
The majority of cute little towns in the guidebook are full of closed and boarded up businesses, none of which are walking distance from the boat landings.
Every town along the canal has a train track running though it. Each public landing will be directly in front of an unmarked crossing where the train must blow it's horn to mark it's passing. This will go on every hour on the hour all night long.

We made it to Troy, New York which is along the Hudson River. This is finally the first town that has what is advertised, businesses within walking distance from the boat. We docked at the city dock, and Joe, the harbor master was very helpful. We paid our fee and had a map and directions to a laundry and some interesting restaurants. We started our laundry and then went for a drink at the local Irish Pub right by our landing. We switched loads to the dryer and then went uptown for some New York style pizza. The local hotspot sold pizza by the pie or by the slice. We each chose a slice. The slices are about a quarter of a whole pizza back home. It was delicious. On the way back, we stopped into a couple of local bodega type markets. In the first we were able to buy a much needed loaf of bread. John was hesitant, but Tom and I ventured further. In the second shop we scored a dozen eggs and some bananas. The rest of the inventory was kind of suspect. Although, they had a really extensive selection of wigs and hair products.

Tomorrow starts our journey down the Hudson River. Our first stop will be in a marina that will re-step our mast. We should be to Catskill, New York by lunchtime. Then we will have to wait until they can get the mast rigged. I have to start checking on ways to get home. I have seen enough Amtrak trains running west to know that is a safe bet, but it may take two days. I have to start checking on airfares from Newark or NYC. It is hard to believe that my five weeks is almost up.

John's Notes:

We are finally out of the Erie Canal. Can't say that I miss it. One of the strange things that bothered me about locking through was the number of locks where the lock masters ignored you when you called them on the radio. All the locks use channel 13 for communication but when asked if they heard us on the radio they would just say, "oh, I didn't have my radio with me." For those who don't understand, it is really hard to stand off when the current is drawing you into the lock and the gates are closed. The last few locks were absolutely the worst. Thankfully, it's over. Now it's down the Hudson River about 40 miles and get the mast re-stepped.

Don 't know if I mentioned it before, but you can tell when three people have been sailing together for far too long. A couple of days ago we were all in the cockpit just motoring along. Cheryl and I realized that Tommy was reading. Not just reading, mind you, he was reading Cheryl's book. We just watched him for a few minutes and the weird expressions on his face. Finally, Cheryl couldn't stand it any longer and told Tommy that he was reading her book. He said that he was trying to figure out why nothing made much sense to him.

We are in Troy, NY tonight. Tommy had a great night. We went to yet another Irish pub and then down the street a few blocks to get "authentic" New York pizza by the slice. I must be getting old because the two fools that I'm with seem to want to go anywhere. Me, I'm sitting in the pizza place wondering if I'm the only person who isn't armed. When we walk down the street, I keep looking over my shoulder. Tommy and Cheryl just think it is so much fun to experience all this. I think Tommy would like to stay here a few more days. I just heard him tell Carol on the phone that this was the highlight of the trip so far. Everyone already knows my thoughts on New York. Cheryl can't wait to get to New York City. I can't wait to get out of it.

Heads up for anyone making this trip, don't bother stopping at the Schenectady Yacht Club. We had to stop there earlier today to use a fax machine. The guy running the place said that we could use his if we could figure out how to use it. Cheryl jumped right on that and had no problem. Me, having nothing much to do while she was sending a fax, just kind of looked around his office (if that is what you could call it). Noticed several bottles of booze sitting around in various places. Turns out that is their bar. It works on the honor system. If you use any of the booze, you are expected to drop some money in the box that is designated as the Tiki lamp oil fund. Unique way of conducting business without a liquor license.

Poor Ball-2 is still suffering. Haven't found a place to pump up his ego yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Talked with my sister over the weekend. She informed me that a couple of her co-workers were following along with our blog. I don't want her to take this the wrong way, but, I get nervous having FEMA sort of looking out for us. Glad we decided to go this way as opposed to going down the other "Loop" direction and coming out in New Orleans.

With any luck at all, our blog may become interesting again. We have seen lots of pristine country but it really is mile after mile of the same. We make it through the locks without incident but you have to remember that we are still traveling with a boat with limited maneuverability with the mast hanging over both ends of the boat. The guys who told me that there is nothing to it are either lying or damaged something and didn't admit it. Your nerves get really frazzled at times. Now all I have to do is get used to dealing with tides and currents after over 20 years of lake sailing.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI