Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

Journeys end

06 September 2008 | New Bern, NC
John
John's Notes:

This will be my last post for a few days. Tommy and I had dinner and a couple of beers at the Hurricane (how appropriate). Then went back to the boat and did a few more chores and put more stuff away.

This morning we were fortunate enough to get a ride to the airport. A couple who have a boat just down from us flew their own plane in to prep their boat for the storms. I think they are from Columbus, OH. I know the husband plays golf. Have to find out if he knows Cragen. Anyway, we rent the car and then off to West Marine. I must be the only knuckle head that thinks that they might have supplies left. Fortunately, they do have the shackles that I need but unfortunately the only dock lines they have left are 25' 3-strand nylon. I like braided myself and wanted 35 footers. Had to take what I could get for now. Back to the boat and installed the new hardware and additional lines. I would have taken pictures of what the boat looked like before we left but unfortunately it was a torrential downpour so I didn't even try.

A note to my sailing friends in Bayfield. When it comes to navigational concerns, our most challenging decision usually regards how deep the water is where we decided to anchor and do we have enough swing room. Everything else is pretty much line of sight. Navigation on the east coast is a totally different story. There is shallow water everywhere and hazards are all over the place. Maybe we were just plain lucky but MapTech worked perfectly. It's a little touchy and I still need to refine my skills. My father would have had at least a smile on his face. Like he always said, "If you don't trust your instruments, throw the damn things overboard." If your depth sounder fails, you could be in real trouble. In that event, your waypoints better be EXACT. My advice, work on navigation. Get a book that describes every symbol on a chart. There are things I'm still not sure of.

One final note. The best day of the trip; anchoring at Kelly's Island on Lake Erie. The next best stop; our last night out anchored in a tiny little spot enjoying a couple of beers and a steak with Tommy.
Most memorable event? Well there were two really. Cheryl going overboard at 0300 in Buffalo and her going up the mast to fix the anemometer..

The greatest thing about this life? Cheryl! Talk about your Irish luck. We are going to have many more adventures, together. Probably even more misadventures. We'll keep reporting them as long as anyone is interested.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI