Life aboard Leprechaun

Cruising towards our dream, in search of the pot o'gold

19 July 2012 | Bayfield and Twin Cities
13 July 2012 | Houghton, MI
12 July 2012 | Outer Keweenaw, MI
11 July 2012 | Marquette, MI
10 July 2012 | Munising, MI
09 July 2012 | Grand Marais, MI
08 July 2012 | Whitefish Point
06 July 2012 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
05 July 2012 | DeTour Village, MI
04 July 2012 | Roger City, MI
03 July 2012 | Presque Isle, MI
02 July 2012 | Harrisville, MI
01 July 2012 | East Tawas, MI
30 June 2012 | Harbor Beach, MI
29 June 2012 | Port Sanilac, MI
28 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
27 June 2012 | Lake St. Clair, MI
26 June 2012 | Grosse Ile, MI
25 June 2012 | Put in Bay, OH
23 June 2012

Snow in Carolina

21 January 2009 | New Bern, NC
John and Cheryl in the snow
Cheryl's Notes:

Well, we were finally able to experience a North Carolina blizzard. The warnings started on Monday afternoon that one to three inches of snow was expected to fall. Head line News: Snow was coming to the Eastern Carolinas. We had a few errands to run on Monday afternoon and stopped by the local grocery store. They were wiped out of bread and milk by 4:00 p.m. By the evening news, they were already announcing school and county office closings. We saw reports of the local DOT having their snow plow drivers making practice runs. Now understand, this was before the snow arrived. We woke up Tuesday morning to rain and sleet. By noon it had turned to snow and there was already a seven car pileup on a bridge near Jacksonville. Everything here shut down. People were told to stay home and not drive anywhere unless it was an emergency.

By the time the Inauguration was over and the balls had begun, there was a scant two inches on the ground. (The local weather news crews kept interrupting the inauguration coverage to give snow updates.) We woke up this morning to a white wonderland that will probably be gone by noon. The grass is already showing through in most places. We did have a skim of ice on the water in the harbor this morning. It gave the water a beautiful shimmer in the morning sun.

It is supposed to be back in the sixties by Friday, so we took lots of pictures while it lasted. I have posted them in our gallery. The two day event has caused quite a stir here. It makes you wonder how the locals would survive if this weather lasted five months instead of two days. Things that make you go, hmmmm.

Johns Notes:

See the above entry. That just about says it all. There isn't much I can add that wouldn't sound cynical. If this keeps up we might as well have stayed in Bayfield. The marina sure has a different look to it today. Pretty in a way. The docks are much easier to walk on covered with snow than they are with ice.

I incurred some back spasms yesterday so I'm moving a little gingerly today. My friend Paul says that it's because I wear shorts all the time and I'm getting a draft up my non-existent pants legs. He could be on to something but I'll never admit it.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leprechaun
Vessel Make/Model: 1999 Catalina 36mkII
Hailing Port: Bayfield, WI
Crew: John and Cheryl
About: John grew up in San Francisco and received his first boat for his seventh birthday. He has owned a boat since that day. His father and grandfather were both ship captains. His dream has always been to live on the water and travel to new places and spend his retirement years cruising.
Extra:
Cheryl started dating John ten years ago. On their third date he uttered the words that would change her life forever. "Did I mention that I own a boat?" She fell in love with John and her love of sailing quickly followed. When he mentioned his retirement dreams, she was the first to say "Let's [...]

The Crew

Who: John and Cheryl
Port: Bayfield, WI