Patch and Bert go travelling

29 March 2024
16 January 2024
16 December 2023
06 December 2023
02 November 2023
11 October 2023
29 September 2023
17 September 2023
03 September 2023
21 August 2023
15 July 2023
23 June 2023
30 May 2023

Would you Salute the Sun?

21 June 2020
Sadie
This week has been another odd news week, dominated by the question ‘who would you take the knee for’? Yet again, the media did a superb job of taking a relatively light hearted interview, where no disrespect seemed to be meant, and twisting it to create a story. I have not been doing much kneeling this week, but I did get up early today to salute the sun. In the last six years we have tried to mark the summer solstice by doing a night sail, enjoying the long days and short hours of darkness. Today, I had to settle for some yoga poses instead. The weather has been settled and sunny for most of the week and with it has come the end of our cabin fever. We often say on the boat, that we can be in the nicest place in the world but if we get stuck due to bad weather, we get port fever and have a desperate need to get moving. I think the bad weather last week and being stuck inside caused the same reaction, but this week has been one of getting out and enjoying the sun. The beautiful sunshine has bought out the wildlife, and it has been a week dominated by seeing animals.


TinkerBella
This week started with a local walk. We have a choice of circular walks from the house, and today we went through the local wood which still smells of wild garlic. It is here that we threw Scrappy into the river, or at least his ashes. He hated swimming and he has very stubbornly silted up a bit of the river. Every so often we go and have a look to see if a bit more of him has moved on, but he is just expanding like he did in real life. He thought he owned the woods whilst alive, and I reckon if we went down there one windy night, he would be seen terrorising all the rabbits! The local farmer was out harvesting his field and as a result we enjoyed watching a pair of playful stoats along the path, fleeing from the combined harvester.

We walked back along the side of the beck (river) and through a field of wheat and poppies when we had a bit of excitement. Bob came to say that his dog had gone missing and we were enlisted to help find him. Bob is a rotund little man, who drives to this field and drops his dog off to do his business, whilst Bob sits reading his newspaper. According to Bob, his golden lab had done a runner after a bitch in heat. We didn’t find him, but I heard via the grapevine that a good time was had by all, and there may be some pups on the way!

Patch
On Tuesday we got up early and drove to the coast for a long walk along the beach at low tide. We arrived at 8.30am before it got busy and watched the fog roll in. We were walking towards Whitby, and as the fog engulfed the ruined Abbey where Dracula came ashore in the form of a black dog. Mom and I got a tingling down the spine. Luckily the only black dog around was Tinker, and the only things emerging from the fog were fishing boats. According to the humans it looked very biblical as the fishermen were rowing out the nets by hand. For me, I got sensory overload and I got into a bit of trouble. I blame the smell of the fish, the dampness of the fog and plenty of dogs to sniff around and play with. Mom had been wondering what Q meant in LBGTQ. Apparently it stands for ‘questioning’ and that applies to me. I didn’t know whether to lick their faces, smell their bottoms or hump their backs. It didn’t matter to me whether they were a girl or a boy. After 12 weeks of lockdown I went mad. Mom ran after me l as I went from one dog to another. She used words like, ‘disgrace’ and ‘dirty boy’ and whoever “Randy” is, he is having something chopped off very soon!!! What was a boy to do? When we got back to the van Dad cooked a bacon sandwich, and with a full tummy I fell asleep dreaming about my perfect day.

Sade
We have really tried to make an effort to only take out our van a few times each week. We are becoming very Yorkshire; ‘there is no need to drive out, when there is so much beauty on the doorstep’. It is also about doing our bit for the environment. It is not just about seeing new places and experiencing new things, but it is a way we can explore the world in an environmentally friendly way. This week we got the bikes out and cycled to the next village to have iced tea down by the river. We have walked miles through fields full of wheat and barley and along river paths full of daisy like flowers and watercress. We can’t believe how big the lambs have grown and we have admired the local rams in their solitary magnificence (Patch clearly sees them as role models). We were followed by a field full of nosy cows and nuzzled by the local horses. Patch acted like a kangaroo hopping through the barley fields after the pheasants and he came face to face with a wild hare. He stumbled on it in its burrowed bed, and I am not sure which was the most startled. After a long pause, the hare bombed it along the field with Patch in hot pursuit and soon Patch was just a distant speck. The hare won hands down, and for once Patch didn’t have the energy to run back, and he slept for the rest of the day. However, the highlight of the week for us was the owl last night. The sun was poking through the clouds at about 8.30pm after a downpour of rain we got out for a quick evening walk with the dogs. We went over to the fields and were rewarded by a beautiful display put on by a snowy white barn owl. It soared and glided above our heads, and swooped silently down to take a closer look at Patch. We stood in awe watching his wonderful display for about 10 minutes, before he vanished, ghostlike, into the next field.

So for me, I shall keep my thoughts on ‘taking the knee’ to myself, but I shall keep saluting the sun everyday, and hope for more weeks of magic like this one.

Comments
Vessel Name: Leslie Frank of Bursledon
Vessel Make/Model: Moody Grenadier 134
Hailing Port: Southampton - now from Yorkshire
Crew: Patch and Bertie
About: KEY ROLES Jules .. skipper and breakfast chef Patch -first mate and duck scarer Bert .. ships boy (and dustbin thief)
Extra: A continuing journey of exploration and adventure with our two adorable dogs
Leslie Frank of Bursledon's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 22 June 2022
106 Photos
Created 22 June 2022
Enjoying walks around the island
152 Photos
Created 25 June 2021
69 Photos
Created 10 June 2021
Stopped from sailing but not from walking
64 Photos
Created 22 March 2020
A small little fishing harbour, quaint and beautiful
15 Photos
Created 25 August 2019
121 Photos
Created 20 August 2019
Denmark 2019
58 Photos
Created 20 August 2019
Copenhagen, including visit by Ruthy
20 Photos
Created 20 August 2019
21 Photos
Created 30 July 2019
30 Photos
Created 30 July 2019
18 Photos
Created 30 July 2019
One of our favourite places.
40 Photos
Created 30 July 2019
Laboe in Germany
23 Photos
Created 30 July 2019
23 Photos
Created 18 July 2019
48 Photos
Created 18 July 2019
University town, in Holland. Really beautiful place to sit out some bad weather
43 Photos
Created 18 July 2019
German Frisian isle, just loved it.
40 Photos
Created 18 July 2019
Sandbanks, sea bats, cranberry pie, raw herring, seals, submarines, spoonbills and wildflowers. We just love these islands
124 Photos
Created 26 June 2019
11 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
18 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
10 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
A Fresian Isle with great cycling and beautiful scenery
28 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
A beautiful day cycling out to the National Park and then hiring kayaks
13 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
A privilege to go round her house, she saved hundreds of Jews and resistance workers during the war.
8 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
We loved it here
32 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
Beautiful houses
18 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
A beautiful old town
38 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
Over four days all the children of various clubs and societies walk between 5-15 km a night. On the fourth night the adults line the street and tie presents round their necks in celebration.
8 Photos
Created 7 June 2019
A great day out
33 Photos
Created 7 June 2019
The UNESCO world heritage site for windmills
3 Photos
Created 7 June 2019
9 Photos
Created 1 June 2019
11 Photos
Created 1 June 2019
Town on the coast
9 Photos
Created 1 June 2019
41 Photos
Created 1 June 2019
Loving the canal system, beautiful towns and tea and cake
33 Photos
Created 1 June 2019
Enjoying Belgium
29 Photos
Created 19 May 2019
A great place to be, especially the midnight crypt visit
16 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
9 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
Guernsey April 2019
44 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
My little boy
12 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
French food and Belgium Drinks May 2019
18 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
Tinker enjoying all the fun
11 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
May 2019
29 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
May 2019
20 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
Cherbourg, Le Harve, Dieppe and Boulogne
36 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
5 Photos
Created 20 March 2018
57 Photos
Created 13 August 2017
July 2017
72 Photos
Created 31 July 2017
28 Photos
Created 19 June 2017
12 Photos
Created 6 June 2017
Spring 2017
44 Photos
Created 18 May 2017
63 Photos
Created 26 April 2017
March and April 2017
19 Photos
Created 2 April 2017
32 Photos
Created 8 November 2016
88 Photos
Created 4 October 2016
78 Photos
Created 24 September 2016
35 Photos
Created 14 August 2016
June 2016
186 Photos
Created 28 June 2016
2016
136 Photos
Created 2 April 2016
59 Photos
Created 30 January 2016
2 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
51 Photos
Created 11 April 2015
37 Photos
Created 23 January 2014
120 Photos
Created 14 August 2013
70 Photos
Created 11 June 2013
17 Photos
Created 7 May 2013
48 Photos
Created 1 April 2013
Two small black dogs turn pirate. Click the photo of the van to see more photos
9 Photos
Created 10 March 2013
hit counter for website