Patch and Bert go travelling

29 March 2024
16 January 2024
16 December 2023
06 December 2023
02 November 2023
11 October 2023
29 September 2023
17 September 2023
03 September 2023
21 August 2023
15 July 2023
23 June 2023
30 May 2023

Humans by Bertie and Patch.

06 March 2022
Bertie and Patch Windmill
This week we have been into York and Leeds with the adults. We went to York on a nice sunny day. We had to go in to fetch all the things mom had bid on at auction- nudist artwork, tea caddies and a clock. Mom has hung the pictures over her bed and each morning when she gets out of bed she sighs and imagines herself looking like the lady in the picture. We hate to disillusion her, but she has a few more curves and her boobs are definitely not as pert as those of the model.
York was lovely. We started with a cup of tea in ‘The House of the Trembling Madness’. Mom was disappointed that it was only half past ten and too early for a glass of their super strong Porter. We got treated to biscuits before we wandered round the market. The man on the rucksack stall was from Ayvalik in Turkey and he was surprised to hear that Mom and Dad had been there. He got out his phone and showed us all pictures of where we should go next time. He didn’t seem to mind when Patch cocked his leg up one of his handbags. The man on the Rieker shoe stall lived in York and was right miserable! He tried to get away with charging double for the shoes and then offering a discount. Mom was really annoyed, as she had spent 15 minutes writing down local walks for him, as he loves the village we live in! Next stop was a Greek cafe for Dad to get a Greek coffee. The man is from Corfu and can’t wait to go back next month for a holiday. He liked us, and gave us almond biscuits, which Dad scoffed, saying they were too nice for dogs! Mom and Dad were both horrified by how many homeless people there were on the streets. People just walk by without even acknowledging them but Mom can’t help but chat to them all, especially if they have a dog. We didn’t like her chatting to the man with a staffie as it was jumping up our mom and giving lots of hugs and wet kisses. There was one poor lady who was desperate to top her money up to get a shelter for the night. Mom and Dad managed to find enough change between them to top it up, and off she wandered to the hostel. Mom is such a big softie that she cries when she thinks that Tinker started off life living wild in the the woods. She says we are pampered pooches and wouldn’t last a day in the wild. She is probably right! We rounded off our morning with lunch in an Algerian restaurant, it was the only quiet restaurant that they found which would allow us in. We sat quietly under the table on Dad’s coat. To be honest spinach, feta and pine-nut rolls drizzled in honey does nothing for our bowels, so we both had a little nap. The posh people at the next table made a comment when we got up to leave about dogs being allowed in the restaurant. Mom smiled sweetly and asked if we had been any trouble. Obviously, they had to report back that we had been little angels and they hadn’t known we had been there. Aren’t humans funny? They complain about things they aren’t even aware of then ignore issues like homeless people, who they cant help but notice and could do something about?

The next day we went to Leeds. Mom and Dad had to take a cushion back from their new sofa. The man had the new one ready and waiting and let us leave the car on his car park to save us the car park fees. We walked along the canal and found a lovely little cafe for a cup of tea, before having a look round the city. It was great and reminded us of Birmingham. Kirkgate market didn’t allow us in, but Mom went and had a wander round. It’s the biggest indoor market in Europe. She came back with armfuls of flowers and houseplants, and can’t wait to go again, but without us! Mom said there was an African hairdresser in the middle of the market, where women were sitting and chatting and having hair pieces fitted. There was food from different countries and she said it smelt amazing. There are lots of Victorian covered shopping arcades in Leeds with very exclusive shops. We really don’t understand humans. We were allowed in the shops but not in the arcades so had to be carried in the arcade from shop door to shop door, but then allowed down in the shops themselves. There were lots of very poor people on the city and we saw a huge row break out between two women, who looked like they were drunk. There was a lot of hair pulling and rude words flying around. Mom covered our ears so we didn’t hear them all. We wandered back to the little cafe where we had started for a cup of tea before heading home, when a lovely couple came in. They liked us, and got down on the floor to play with us. The man particularly liked Bertie and Dad said, “you can have him for £2.50”. The man said, “deal done”. Bertie didn’t mind though. It was only Ralph Little from ‘Death in Paradise’. We could have been living in the Caribbean half the year, where they have goat curry. Anyway, he was a lovely man and made us feel very special. Mom spent the whole time thinking, “his face is familiar, where do I know him from”? Thank goodness that Dad didn’t tell her until we were outside, otherwise she would have made us have our photo taken with him.

Today, we have had a lovely walk along the beck and into Farndale. In another month you won’t be able to walk there for the tourists who flock to see the daffodils. We stopped at the cafe, where there was a sweet smell in the air. Their dog was in season and so we went mental! We couldn’t stop our hormones, especially as she came tarting round us asking for sex. Who can resist, when she put her bum in our faces! Mom and Dad had to hold us back. The lady came to rescue her and said she was meeting a dog tomorrow to make babies. Her husband, who had been busy serving tea, looked rather sheepish and said it might be a bit too late. Apparently the sheep dog from the farm had already had his wicked way that morning. I wonder why humans don’t have the same hormonal responses as we do when we get that scent. Perhaps they do, and it is just we live with mom and Dad who are knocking on a bit!
Comments
Vessel Name: Leslie Frank of Bursledon
Vessel Make/Model: Moody Grenadier 134
Hailing Port: Southampton - now from Yorkshire
Crew: Patch and Bertie
About: KEY ROLES Jules .. skipper and breakfast chef Patch -first mate and duck scarer Bert .. ships boy (and dustbin thief)
Extra: A continuing journey of exploration and adventure with our two adorable dogs
Leslie Frank of Bursledon's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 22 June 2022
106 Photos
Created 22 June 2022
Enjoying walks around the island
152 Photos
Created 25 June 2021
69 Photos
Created 10 June 2021
Stopped from sailing but not from walking
64 Photos
Created 22 March 2020
A small little fishing harbour, quaint and beautiful
15 Photos
Created 25 August 2019
121 Photos
Created 20 August 2019
Denmark 2019
58 Photos
Created 20 August 2019
Copenhagen, including visit by Ruthy
20 Photos
Created 20 August 2019
21 Photos
Created 30 July 2019
30 Photos
Created 30 July 2019
18 Photos
Created 30 July 2019
One of our favourite places.
40 Photos
Created 30 July 2019
Laboe in Germany
23 Photos
Created 30 July 2019
23 Photos
Created 18 July 2019
48 Photos
Created 18 July 2019
University town, in Holland. Really beautiful place to sit out some bad weather
43 Photos
Created 18 July 2019
German Frisian isle, just loved it.
40 Photos
Created 18 July 2019
Sandbanks, sea bats, cranberry pie, raw herring, seals, submarines, spoonbills and wildflowers. We just love these islands
124 Photos
Created 26 June 2019
11 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
18 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
10 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
A Fresian Isle with great cycling and beautiful scenery
28 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
A beautiful day cycling out to the National Park and then hiring kayaks
13 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
A privilege to go round her house, she saved hundreds of Jews and resistance workers during the war.
8 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
We loved it here
32 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
Beautiful houses
18 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
A beautiful old town
38 Photos
Created 20 June 2019
Over four days all the children of various clubs and societies walk between 5-15 km a night. On the fourth night the adults line the street and tie presents round their necks in celebration.
8 Photos
Created 7 June 2019
A great day out
33 Photos
Created 7 June 2019
The UNESCO world heritage site for windmills
3 Photos
Created 7 June 2019
9 Photos
Created 1 June 2019
11 Photos
Created 1 June 2019
Town on the coast
9 Photos
Created 1 June 2019
41 Photos
Created 1 June 2019
Loving the canal system, beautiful towns and tea and cake
33 Photos
Created 1 June 2019
Enjoying Belgium
29 Photos
Created 19 May 2019
A great place to be, especially the midnight crypt visit
16 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
9 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
Guernsey April 2019
44 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
My little boy
12 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
French food and Belgium Drinks May 2019
18 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
Tinker enjoying all the fun
11 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
May 2019
29 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
May 2019
20 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
Cherbourg, Le Harve, Dieppe and Boulogne
36 Photos
Created 16 May 2019
5 Photos
Created 20 March 2018
57 Photos
Created 13 August 2017
July 2017
72 Photos
Created 31 July 2017
28 Photos
Created 19 June 2017
12 Photos
Created 6 June 2017
Spring 2017
44 Photos
Created 18 May 2017
63 Photos
Created 26 April 2017
March and April 2017
19 Photos
Created 2 April 2017
32 Photos
Created 8 November 2016
88 Photos
Created 4 October 2016
78 Photos
Created 24 September 2016
35 Photos
Created 14 August 2016
June 2016
186 Photos
Created 28 June 2016
2016
136 Photos
Created 2 April 2016
59 Photos
Created 30 January 2016
2 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
51 Photos
Created 11 April 2015
37 Photos
Created 23 January 2014
120 Photos
Created 14 August 2013
70 Photos
Created 11 June 2013
17 Photos
Created 7 May 2013
48 Photos
Created 1 April 2013
Two small black dogs turn pirate. Click the photo of the van to see more photos
9 Photos
Created 10 March 2013
hit counter for website