LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 10 Day 77 A Diving Day

14 April 2017 | Christiansted, St. Croix, USVI
Dave/Overcast With Periods Of Rain
Today was the big dive day. Rick had scheduled a dive this afternoon and let us know that he would love to dive with Portia and Steve if they were interested. Steve jumped on the opportunity while Portia was conflicted out, having to deal with a number of real estate issues that popped up. She and Steve are in the process of designing and building a new house in Kauai and she is juggling a number of balls to make this happen. A few of these balls needed some TLC today so she was on the phone for the better part of the day.

I ran Steve to the Christiansted boardwalk this afternoon and we then walked up one of the streets to where the dive shop was located. While Steve was discussing the dive with the dive shop, Rick walked in and was all smiles. It was so great to see him again and to introduce him to Steve. I then said my goodbyes and walked over to Fort Christiansted, where the National Park Service has an office. I needed to confirm our permit with them that allows us to anchor at Buck Island and to be sure we would be allowed to anchor there overnight. We hope to do so this coming Tuesday before we sail back to St Thomas so Portia and Steve can catch their flight home on Thursday. After a brief discussion with the park ranger, we discovered that they had misplaced the permit application we filed with them about 10 days ago. However, later on today I did receive an email saying that we can go ahead and anchor there. Whew!

Around 1630 we spied Steve and Rick's dive boat returning to Christiansted so the two ladies and I hopped in the dinghy and followed the dive boat to its dock along the boardwalk. We tied up and joined up with Rick and Steve for happy hour at one of the bars that dot the boardwalk. It was great to hear about the wonderful dives Steve and Rick had. They did two dives off the fringing reef just to the north of us, seeing lots of turtles, fish and even a lobster. They also spied three Lionfish which where speared. Lionfish are a significant nuisance since they are an invading species that are not native to the Caribbean. As it turns out, they are out competing the various fish which are native to the Caribbean and are having a significant impact on the Caribbean's fishing resources. There is a bounty on Lionfish and even though there are restrictions on fishing and spearing other fish, it is open season for Lionfish. You can learn more about the Lionfish by going to the National Geographic website at: http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2013/07/19/top-5-myths-about-lionfish/.

After our drinks and saying goodbye to Rick, we walked over Galangal, the Thai restaurant that Rick and Bret had introduced us to a couple of weeks ago. We were anxious to share this very special epicurean experience with Portia and Steve.

Our dining experience was a pure delight as we thoroughly enjoyed our mussels in a unique peanut sauce, the fried calamari, lamb chops, a chicken breast and short ribs, all infused with Thai and oriental herbs and spices. To top it off, Rick had called the restaurant and ordered a bottle of his favorite wine, a juvenile Zinfandel from the Turley Vineyards in Napa Valley, for our table. How generous was that! We will be seeing Rick and Bret on Sunday when we will be sharing a table with them at the Blue Water Terrace for dinner.

After our wonderful meal we somehow made our way back to our dinghy and then Leu Cat with our tummies being very happy.


Comments
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA