LeuCat Adventures

Join us in sharing our adventures as we sail around the world. NEW!!************************************************************************* GET A COPY OF OUR TECHNO-TIPS DOCUMENTS--JUST CLICK ON THEM UNDER THE "FAVORITES" HEADING ON THE RIGHT

24 September 2017
30 August 2017 | San Francisco, CA
02 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
01 July 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
30 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
29 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
28 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
27 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
26 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
25 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
24 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
22 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
21 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
20 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
18 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
17 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
16 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
15 June 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten

Year 10 Day 92 Goodbye To Dear Friends

29 April 2017 | Simpson Bay Marina, Cole Bay, Sint Maarten
Dave/Overcast

Today we said our goodbyes to our dear friends, Joe and Valerie. Their short stay with us is over. We drove them to the airport around noon where they will start their journey back to their home in Las Vegas. It was great to see them again and to sail from St. Thomas in the USVI, up to St Johns, through the BVIs and then over to Sint Maarten. While the passage from BVI to Sint Maarten was not ideal, we made it safe and sound, which is the objective of each of our passages.

This was their third visit to Leu Cat over the 9 plus years we have taken to sail around the world. The first time was in Panama, the second time was in New Zealand and now in the Northern Antilles. That is pretty impressive and speaks volumes of our friendship and our love of getting together.

Now comes a brief period of forced rest since Sint Maarten is in holiday mode with most places closed through Tuesday. Monday is Labor Day and Tuesday is Carnival Day and we are told most places will be closed until Wednesday. Thus, our desire to contact various services to work on Leu Cat cannot start until Wednesday. The big issue is our track on our mast. I am hoping that it will not take stepping down the mast, as that is a big deal which would take a crane.

I have a list of 18 things that I wish to complete before we start our passage across the North Atlantic to the Azores and then Spain. Most are pretty minor such as adjusting the 2 x 4s we have mounted to the stanchions that we use to secure our 10 5-gallon jerry jugs of deck fuel when we do major crossings, replace our stern US flag holder, replace the dinghy’s anchor and line, gel coat a couple of dings on the deck, polish the stainless steel, re-attach a few cushion straps and few other easy peasy, minor items.

However, there are a few items that are more troublesome and which could take some time. Besides the mast track issue, we now have a minor, slow leak of motor oil in the starboard engine that I am concerned about, our brand-new washer drier is giving us an error code that the drain pump is not working that must be addressed, and the outboard engine that in March I had fixed is leaking gear oil again. These all must be fixed before we are start our passage.

Plus, we need to have this done in the soonest possible manner so that we are ready to start our passage when the North Atlantic High has established itself but before the hurricane season gets too advanced. Right now, I am watching the North Atlantic High forming and becoming more stable. This is important as it need to be strong enough to deflect to the north the low-pressure cells (storms) that spin off of the North American continent. Right now, this major high pressure cell, which forms each summer and sits over the center of the North Atlantic, is still too much in its infancy and is still getting pushed around by the big, bad low pressure systems. However, usually by the end of May it is pretty established and when it is, we need to be ready to leave. If we wait here too long, we then run the risk of tropical storms and possibly hurricanes running into the North Atlantic which form off the coast of Africa and march across to the Caribbean and, at times, deflect into the path of our upcoming passage.

This is the reason I am anxious to get our projects started and completed. Unfortunately, we have to wait for these two holidays to pass before I can start lining up the contractors to work on those projects that I cannot do myself.

I have attached to this blog a picture which shows what the North Atlantic High looks like today. It is pretty impressive. However, the picture which I will post above this blog, show how a massive storm coming from Greenland is projected to beat up the High because the low pressure cell which is causing the storm is much stronger than the High. The storm cuts right across the path we are planning on taking to reach the Azores.
Comments
Vessel Name: Leu Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 440
Hailing Port: Dana Point, CA
Crew: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
About: Our goals are to spend the next 10 to 15 years cruising around the world and sharing this adventure with family and friends.
Extra: S/V Leu Cat is Lagoon 440 rigged for blue water sailing. It is 44 feet long with a 25 foot beam
Social:
Leu Cat's Photos - (Main)
1 Photo
Created 27 February 2017
Wedding and Reception photos April 18, 2015, Yosemite, CA
49 Photos
Created 30 April 2015
Here are some pics that I took while visiting w/ my parents in the Galapagos Islands
22 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our Photos of this very magically place
94 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 1 April 2009
A tour of St. Kitts that Mary Margaret and I did
75 Photos
Created 7 May 2008
1 Photo
Created 25 March 2008
Pictures of the sea life in the cut between Little Jost Van Dyke and Green Cay, BVI
30 Photos
Created 17 March 2008
Here are a number of pictures of St. Maarten and the places we visited
36 Photos
Created 21 January 2008
Photos of Nanny Cay
6 Photos
Created 11 January 2008
Join us as we explore the Spanish, American, and British Virgin Ilsands.
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2007
To help get you ready to go sailing with us, we wish to introduce you to Leu Cat so you will know what to expect when you get here! Just click on the first photo and then use the "next" button to advance through this slide show.
19 Photos
Created 19 October 2007
This is a collection of photos documenting our sail through the Windward Islands during May/June 2006 with our son, David Paul.
62 Photos
Created 14 October 2007

Who: Mary Margaret and Dave Leu
Port: Dana Point, CA