NW Passage

15 August 2017
14 August 2017 | Solvear
13 August 2017
12 August 2017
11 August 2017
03 August 2017
02 August 2017
01 August 2017
01 August 2017 | Mushamna
31 July 2017 | Smeerenburg
31 July 2017 | Woodfforden
30 July 2017
28 July 2017
27 July 2017
27 July 2017
24 July 2017

Should we stay or should we go, come on and let me know!

20 August 2013 | Levesque Harbor, E Bellot Strait
PC
Tooluka, Arctic Tern and Libellule waiting at Levesque Harbor, just off the eastern end of Bellot Strait. The ice flow in the middle ended up chasing us away from our anchorage. But then we boarded the floe to take some Xmas pictures on top of it, which was real fun.

The ice conditions are still very bad in Bellot Strait. So much so that all the seven sailing boats waiting on this side of the Strait are discussing whether to abandon the whole NW Passage project. The problem is that even if the Strait becomes passable in a week or two, the winter may start early in which case the boats would not make it around Alaska anymore since the ice there is still very close to shore. So the decision is either to turn around and head back down to Newfoundland, or to continue but risk being closed in by ice somewhere around Tuktoyaktuk or Northern Alaska and having to spend the winter in the Arctic. We’ll probably need to take the decision this weekend…
Comments
Vessel Name: Libellule
Hailing Port: Switzerland
Crew: The Cottier family on s/v Libellule
Extra: Caribbean - Greenland/Iceland - NW Passage - South Pacific - Antarctic Peninsula - Svalbard
Libellule's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.